VIC What is a reasonable cost to deduct for hair dye stains on bathroom vanity?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Melburnian007, 15th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melburnian007

Melburnian007 Well-Known Member

Newish bathroom Vanity (less than 2 years old) has a lot of hair dye stains on the top and in front. Renter has admitted to negligence.

imgur.com
    imgur.com
    imgur.com
    imgur.com

What is a reasonable cost to deduct for stain removal (no idea how much this will cost and whether it can be removed at all).

Any one else encountered the same issue and if so how did you deal with stain removal and how much did you charge the renter?

Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have a look at this one similar issue.

Melburnian007 likes this.
  3. Melburnian007

Gosh that LL is planning to replace her entire shower frame for a stain in the rubber seal around the frame.

I don't intend to replace an otherwise useable vanity albeit a stained eyesore vanity.

Just need to know a reasonable cost to deduct for either removing the stain or compensation (?)

Thanks

Last edited: 15th Apr, 2022
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a nominal sum, I'd call it $100. Tenant should also give it another go at cleaning or fading the stain.

The stain won't affect wear or use.

6. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I would have thought no deduction as it is "hair and tear" ..........................:rolleyes:

7. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Reckon a bit of jif might do the trick

Melburnian007 and datto like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Reading the comments in the link, Gumption seems to work. It is similar to Jif and I do know when our shower glass coating wasn't keeping it clean the glass guy offered to re-coat it, but I had to clean it first.

His suggestion was Gumption applied with the white coloured Oates non-scratch scourer. It worked well.

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

You can also try hair colour stain remover, can pick it up from chemists. It may or may not work given the length of time the colour has been on it. But it’s less than $10 so worth a shot.

Otherwise gumption is probably the best option, but it is abrasive and that looks like gloss laminate so be gentle.

10. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

We use enjo marble paste for stubborn stains on kitchen/ bathroom marble/ stone tops. Works a treat.

Marble Paste 500g

Tom Rivera and Melburnian007 like this.
  11. Melburnian007

Thanks everyone, will buy Gumption and a soft sponge to apply it with. Will go there and try it on Tuesday. It is the cheapest option. Hopefully that will work.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. Melburnian007

Went to the rental today (the renter needed some help with her stuff in the garage). I tried Gumption as well as almost every remedy recommended on the net (vinegar, baking soda, nail polish remover, jif etc.). Nothing worked. Didn't even fade or make the stain any lighter:sigh:

Then noticed hair dye on the wall too which should hopefully just wipe off easily if it is washable paint.

The bathroom vanity is from Dec 2020 and it looks very unsightly. I frankly wouldn't mind it if it were my bathroom in my home. But I don't want my new renters to live in a subpar home.

I will find out if I can try repainting the surface. Will go to Bunnings and get some advice tomorrow.

Why is that? Hair Dye on a bathroom vanity is not wear and tear but negligence. I've done everything in my power to remove the stains and nothing worked. It's not like I'm trying to gouge the renter and get a new vanity.

If I can get the paint and primer for $50 then great. Else, it will be at cost for the smallest available size of paint.

It won't go to the tribunal. The renter has offered to pay the cost and I am hoping Bunnings will provide an inexpensive fix.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

“Wear and tear”, by usual definition, includes minor accidental damage. The sort of thing that happens every now and then in every household.

Best solution is to come to a mutually satisfactory outcome with the tenant.

14. Melburnian007

Your 'usual definition' is not the same as that provided here: Attachment C- Guidelines 3- Damage & fair wear and tear.docxhttps://www.consumer.vic.gov.au › renting › gui...

I very much doubt it will go to the tribunal as she has said she will pay the costs. Have to work out how much by going to Bunnings tomorrow.

15. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I would get some of the hair dye and rub into a rag and then rub it all over the surface of the vanity to make it uniform

Scott No Mates and shorty like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What about this product...

17. Melburnian007

Thanks, will make sure I get the same shade. I personally would go with Brunette

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. qak

qak Well-Known Member

We had one hair dye stain on our vanity about the size of a 5c piece and it faded away to almost nothing with just Barkeepers Friend powder - I put water on the stain and piled the BF on top & left it there (& repeated a few time), it seems to either bleach or suck the colour out.

I can't see where it was anymore.

Tom Rivera and Melburnian007 like this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Am I the only one that would be seeking full replacement (maybe minus 2yrs depreciation?) given the size and visual impact of the first stain in particular? (IF the stain can't be faded/removed).

I've had similar stains in rentals before and potential tenants have commented asking if they're going to be "cleaned" (not knowing they can't come off). It really affects the presentation, particularly in a recently renovated bathroom.

20. Melburnian007

You're the first on this thread :) But thank you for not saying it's just a stain, so what, it is still useable or think that $50 is enough since it is just wear and tear. Because I disagree. I don't want successive tenants to live in just a liveable (but getting progressively unsightly) home.

I believe I am a very fair rental provider. I have gone out of my way to help this tenant. I welcome pets with open arms. I have provided furniture and appliances for the home-sharing tenants (washing machine, new dishwasher, sofas, beds, desk, outdoor furniture etc) whenever requested (although this is not provided for in the rent agreement). The garden looks amazing and welcoming. Just to give you an idea of what this property looked like before and during a recent viewing (dates provided below the photos): Feb 10 2021-April 2022 - Rental Property Condition

I have no sentimental attachment to this property. I have no intention of selling it for a profit. It is now used to simply provide us with a steady income.

The place will be fully renovated whenever one of my children needs to move in (~ 4 years time).
    Until then I just want to do what is right as a rental provider. If that makes me appear unfair then so be it. There is a limit to my tolerance.