What if Green Labor kills CGT exemption and Neg Gearing?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Carol M, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would be interesting to see what happens in any case

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Bring it on!!

craigc likes this.
  3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Heck no but for selfish reason,
    as PIs benefits from,
    NG,
    mickey mouse demand side boosts measures,
    RBA/APRA led borrowing capacity boosts
    all the while, system, deliberately designed to drip feed the supply side, whilst pretending to be savior of the less fortunate.

Rules of modern day capitalism have changed, its now about "privatizing the profits and socializing the losses"
    from banks bailouts, to corporate legal tax evasions all, though, are within the confinement of law.
    The game is the game, play it or get Played

So keep calm and play the game,
    but lets not pretend to be "champion of free market" whilst reaping the benefit of selective n convenient grants/interventions.

Last edited: 25th May, 2022
    Dmash, KJA182, Whitecat and 1 other person like this.
  4. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

What about Houston like zoning laws.:cool: Say hello to supply!

There is no free market in Australia. I agree. It's a mish-mash of bureaucracy and deals.

Agree with the game. I play it.

Dmash and Whitecat like this.
  5. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Even grandfathered would still affect you. As likely to reduce property prices

Dmash likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1

7. matty_fu

matty_fu Active Member

Didn't realize part of the game was complaining and whining when govt changes the rules to address inequality and make the game fairer for everybody (as is their mandate)

Or yelling in the streets "O how this government make thou dear investor a whipping boy!"

The hypocrisy and mental gymnastics on this forum beggars belief.

Last edited: 25th May, 2022
    Graeme, Pernoi, Dmash and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There are many other forums around which you may find more appealing and be interested in.

craigc, Coffee, Justin_Z and 2 others like this.
  9. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

this labor gov seems pretty pro property, shared equity scheme etc

shorty likes this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, it is good social policy to get people to own their own homes rather than be renting.

matty_fu, Traveller99 and Dmash like this.
  11. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

However limiting all grants/subsidies targeted to new constructions only is a far better bang for tax dollar's bucks, both job wise and rental crisis wise

New Town and matty_fu like this.
  12. Traveller99

The world is full of different opinions. Some believe inequality can best be solved through smaller government and individuals. Some prioritize and hierarchize a whole bunch of social and economic matters.

Rentvester likes this.
  13. Onlinedave

Onlinedave Well-Known Member

While I get where your going, and argument could also be made that removing interference in housing would require applying the same tax rate to it as to the rest of the economy.

14. Dmash

Dmash Well-Known Member

There’s many factors which contribute to our pricing issue here. A major one is all levels of government (local, state, federal) wanting their share of profit from permits and planning, capital gains etc etc.

It all adds in to the developers bottom line which forces price increases. Coupled with incentives for investors it’s just a poor system.

It will be a matter of which group is most accepting of changes to the reforms which have created their wealth

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm struggling with this right now. We'd thought we would sell one house early next year, but we have an opportunity to sell one in a few months. So we need to make a call, sell or re-rent.

We've only ever invested in houses and super. I've watched them grow, double and more for some.

I know the properties will continue to grow, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of selling and putting all sale proceeds into other growth assets. What if shares fall? We will wish we'd held the house.

It's doing my head in.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Why sell then? What's the main reason you thinking to sell @wylie ?

17. Traveller99

18. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I believe that there could be a whole range of things that could be on the table that we don’t know about yet and generally they will he packaged and named to appear to be something else than what they really are, so whatever is proposed needs to be unpacked to see the detail. We wait and see.
    In the US there has been talk of unrealised CGT on homes and investment properties which would be quite intrusive. Now I haven’t heard more about this and how it would be applied to your total income level but macro economist George Gammon had something to say about this in one of his video
    Casts.
    I think the local banks will have a say in all this as well along with the large corporations and central banks. . Having the whole nation put in a situation of major negative equity would be curtains for the smaller local banks if loans were defaulted,

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Let's say this property is worth 1.2m.

If we invest 1.2m elsewhere, that investment should grow, but without tenants, maintenance etc.

I think what bothers me the most is thinking that if we'd sold two years ago when it was worth 900k and invested that, what would it be worth now (in the sharemarket)?

In my head I know many say money invested in shares grows at a very similar (or better) rate than property. I just don't know. It seems wrong to sell, but that is my rusted on "property is the only good investment" mindset.

Also, we drew most of our super to finish the townhouse build, so we are keen to build it back up again. We can put 110k per account in this tax year (voluntary contributions) and then if we sell a house, we can deposit 330k per account and that will grow within super (hopefully).

So we would be swapping 1.2m property for 880 to sit in super. The remainder we can sit in offset which will our interest while it is there, or invest it into something else (REITs, etc - which I have no clue about - but we would take advice).

20. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Would the main difference be that the shares would give you more cash income?