What happens when the Interest Only period expires on your investment property loan?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Eric Wu, 27th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would be good if all the IO loans ended up reverting at different times, but in practice you would have to ask for reduced IO terms for this to happen. Someone refinancing all loans to IO now would want to take the maximum allowable and not reduce the IO period to stagger them reverting to PI>

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I talked about this cliff over 18 months ago......will be interesting.....

I mitigated my strategy early...most of my loans are 15 years I/O.

Others are 10 years I/O only....

A few are 5 years renewable with out a huge assessment (CBA, SunCorp) ...just renewed 2 loans ofr another 5 years with no hassles....lucky I guess.

flyhere and Cactus like this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Renewing I/O terms or refinancing to new I/O terms will come down to borrowing capacity. Your post APRA capacity is a very different number than your pre APRA capacity. By now we all understand this is unlikely to change any time soon.

For some facing this "cliff" , their incomes will be sufficient to allow them to extend or refinance , even with post APRA servicing calcs. But for many - it's going to prove increasingly difficult.

However, even for those who are forced to P&I, there are still circumstances where its survivable without having to sell. The way I see it, even for those investors whose post APRA borrowing capacity rules out I/O extensions or refinances, there will be two distinct levels of impact.

1. Those with more mature portfolio's generating more mature yields will find that even if they are forced onto P&I , they can likely cover it. The maturity of their yields will be their saving grace. This would typically apply where properties have been held a decade or longer, and yields have matured to 8 or 9%. These types of investors can manage 4% P&I or even 5% P&I .

2. Those with less mature portfolio's, yielding 3 or 4 or even 5% , will find the additional repayments of P&I extremely difficult. P&I adds @ 40% to repayments , so 4% P&I will be @ the same as 5.5 - 6% I/O. 5% P&I would be @ the same as 7% I/O.

For those who still have a healthy chunk of P&I PPOR debt, that's a lot of extra money to find...

Now you know why I've been talking about the importance of cash cows and debt reduction for the past few years - especially for those starting out. I believe I called this the decade to deleverage. This is why.

Gypsyblood, flyhere and Ethan Timor like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...looking forward to picking up some of those NRAS stock for a bargain. ;)

Shady likes this.
  5. euro73

You wont find any of mine ...but you'll have no trouble finding some of the stuff I wouldnt touch on realestate.com.au

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

What about Gosnells?

7. euro73

What about it?

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Now it's a parrot.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  9. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

That's good to know, had the loans finished the IO period already? I've got a couple that finish IO early next year but I'm hoping I can extend them now.

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

A parrot...I thought it was a duck....I could be wrong......

11. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Both were expiring within the next 3 months.

12. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

What rate do you 'stress test' your portfolio at? I've just done it at 7% IO and also 6%PI (which I assume is similar to 8.4% IO)....And do you look at the before tax or after tax figure? -$1500p/w starts to look a little scary ;)

13. bread_boy

bread_boy Well-Known Member

I stress tested @ 6.5% I/O and it already doesn't look good. Although I haven't factored in factors such as CPI salary increases and rent rises that should happen during the time it takes the rate to reach this figure.
    In saying that, rents are highly unlikely to increase in line with interest and unless changing jobs/promotion CPI (2-3%) will probably not offset the damage.
    Therefore the result is still worrisome :(

NB: I always calculate pre tax.

14. euro73

It? You're all class.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Anyway, back on topic... What happens when the Interest Only period expires on your investment property loan?

Well, you were warned, so you built up a good cash buffer for when this happened. Now your loan has gone P&I you use some of the cash buffer to offset or pay down the loan. The loan now takes care of itself. No issues as far as I can see.

Gypsyblood and kierank like this.
  16. Terry_w

Its not just about the cash buffer. Its about the tax side

Example
    $500,000 investment loan at 4.5%pa
    The monthly loan repayments:
    $1,875 as IO
    $2,779 as PI over 25 years.

That is a $904 per month difference.

That means an investor will have $904 less money each month to pay down non-deductible debt.

flyhere and Perthguy like this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Terry_w. I didn't think about non-deductible debt because I haven't had any since 2012. In that case I would put the funds in an offset account against the non-deductible debt and pay the $904 per month difference from the offset account.

They can still use debt recycling.

Incidentally, if the principal required is $904 per month, subject to borrowing capacity, could an investor set up a line of credit against the PPoR and pay the principal ($904 per month) from LOC and then declare the interest as a tax deduction against the IP loan? A $100,000 LOC being drawn down by $904 per month would last for 110 months, or 9 years. The issue is whether ATO would disallow the deduction of interest against the IP loan.

Gypsyblood and tobe like this.
  18. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

If you're having trouble extending the I/O period I think you would also have trouble getting an additional LOC.

flyhere and Terry_w like this.
  19. Terry_w

The ATO wouldn't disallow the deductions of interest on the main IP loan, but they might on the LOC.

But if someone had a $100k LOC getting rid of this may be enough to allow them to qualify for extending the IO period - or maybe not.

See this thread where I had a similar idea:
    Tax Tip 46: Want to Pay IO on a PI loan? https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/tax-tip-46-want-to-pay-io-on-a-pi-loan.4438/

Perthguy likes this.
  20. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

So, lets say you have a 260K loan IO at 3.85%, interest would be $850/month. If the loan was PI then P&I repayments per month would be $1219. So, if you had an attached offset with 260k in it and the IO period finished, then I would assume you P&I repayment would be $369 (ie 1219-850)? ie you principle would be reducing each month and thats about the only impact?

Also, my IO loans with AMP revert to P&I in approx 2.5 years - does anyone know what their current policy is on extend IO?