What happens if Hong Kong gets invaded?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by hammer, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

100% correct in terms of human rights....just look at what they are doing to Uigyurs in the Northwestern provinces....look at what they are doing in Cambodia....look at organ harvesting from prisoners or ex-judicial executions.

I really gets up my nose when mainlanders here with Australian citizenship are still very pro-China. I do not like it...I want to see the idiots in the Chinese central government toppled. I also do not like it when they disrupt free speech in Australia....this goes against the grains of democratic values....having said that Morrison's govt is doing that covertly also....

Also...in Africa....China now has a problem as they have treated the locals badly and only got what is good for them increasing it is unsafe for the Chinese. The same is likely to happen in Cambodia. It makes the ex colonials like French ..Belgians...English look like angels.

China is a bully good at pushing countries like Phillipines/Vietnam via their navy...but it will get very interesting if they pick a fight with India, Japan, USA, or Indonesia.....

2. icic

icic Well-Known Member

The thing you need to understand is not every person hating the protests are pro China, in fact very far from it. In fact majority of Honkies here I know are now very sick of it. It does not mean the protestors don't have a point, but the way they go about are completely counter productive now to a point repulsive.

Citycat88 and jprops like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is the only way. Look at what China did to the falun gong protests....

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

22 years of pent up betrayal and fear passed from one generation to the next. I was always amazed it never happened before.
    But I am worried. I also think it is irresponsible for anyone to say that the government has their blessing to pull the protesters into line. Be careful what you wish for.
    Nearly everyone in HK tried to get out 30 years ago. Didn't happen. Completely left to their own fate.
    They were born into a semi-democratic system and were assured they would not be punished for being different to the mainland.
    Would you go back?

The Falcon and 2FAST4U like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The mainland Chinese brainwash their people....it seems the it is in fact the young in HK who are not easy to brainwash.

Too much of this rubbish everywhere ..including Australia.

6. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

House prices in Wantirna, Box Hill (VIC), Sunnybank and equivalent suburbs in Sydney go up from HK based Australians moving back...

7. icic

icic Well-Known Member

"A little knowledge of something can be quite dangerous" I heard my pm said today;). I don't disagree with you point of view on the human rights and we need more people to call it out for what it is, but your gross generalisation of Chinese as whole seem to be rather ignorant and are little insulting to their intelligence don't you think?

Here are list of things you should make a distinction of: CCP != China, pro China != Pro CCP, Pro China development != Pro CCP human rights abuse... Anyone, Chinese or not can take pro or anti position depending on the subject of focus.

Unlike your generalisation, the Chinese community that I know are well aware of all the issues you've highlighted and a lot more, but there are lots of positive things that have happened too.
    There are hope that as the country develops quality of life improves and so does individual rights, sure there set backs. In China's case, in terms of overall quality of life, it has been 2 steps forward and 1 step back kind of scenario. The disruptive approach to change the system could well be 1 step forward many steps back. If you have any deeper understanding of the bloody Chinese history you would know what I mean.

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2019
    Sam Yue, kristaje and Sackie like this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sorry mate.....what I have of the behavior of the Chinese in other countries leads to me to think otherwise......I see the behavior of recent Chinese immigrants here and quite a few flout the law here also.

Having said that the elite who are highly educated are different and are at the top of the game...but largely a lot of them are not au fait with sophisticated and complex economies.

As for Chinese history....they spent a lot of year being conquered.....the Moguls...the Japansese..which leads me to believe when push comes to shove...they may not be able to execute a war......

9. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Sorry @sash, but I might need to correct you again.
    Yuan Dynasty lasted lasted than 100 years which is peanuts in the historical context , Japan only occupied small part of China for just a brief period. They were only can go that far they could because China was in the middle of the bloody civil war....

The little precious peace and prosperity the Chinese have enjoyed in the last 30 years are literally paved by the blood and bodies of civil wars, invasions and policy disasters over the last 250 years or so... That's why many Chinese gets rather defensive(rightly or wrongly) when someone, especially polies with little understanding of Chinese context thinks they know better wants shack things up.

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Frankly don't care.....the real issue is China has a dismal human rights record.
    I totally support the comments made by Western Governments...because they are killing thousands of people....what China does not realize is they have too many fires...NW provinces, HK, Tibet then good on them...if that will bring the desired oppressive change.

In any case we digress...lets agree to disagree...