What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No slowing this train down, lowest unemployment since 18 years, US economy going from strength to strengh
    US companies bringing their business back home creating more jobs. Business confidence all time high

Lets review GPD figures in 6 months time, I expect continued growth

MTR

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Mar, 2018
  2. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

No doubt continued growth for the next 12-18 months. The issue is that they will grow too quick over a short period due to tax cuts. The other variable will be how other countries/blocs react to the trade protectionism.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't....

when its booming its going too strong, too quick??? Please give me this one any day of the week:)

why is US economy soaring.... many drivers @Nadine Cross mentioned just a few.

One way of measuring the state of an economy is GDP.

MTR:)

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2018
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

AND, they're never held accountable for getting it wrong!!

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is my favourite, I have posted this on SS/PC at least 5 times.... it pretty much explains in a nutshell why they get it wrong.

"Ten Reasons Why Economists Always Get It Wrong."

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This has serious consequences forcthe USA. The size of the US GDP is a lot smaller as a % of the world GDP.

This could push the USA into recession if other countries retiliate. This will put the EU and BRIC and Japan as theleading economies.

This could also give the EU economies a kick start advthey have been laggards

willair likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you wish;) Bigly.... sorry the devil made me do it

8. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

The other side of the equation is much bigger, the industries that use steel will see their costs rise. In addition there will be retaliatory measures hitting US exporters. The US can only lose, but as usual with this admin relentless lies will dress it up as some kind of win regardless of what happens.

gman65 and Lizzie like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is a fact.

List of Countries by Projected GDP 2017 - StatisticsTimes.com

The USA used to be 40% of the global GDP. The are currently about 22% of global GDP.

Whilst they will remain an important trading partner...they are less important than 20 years ago. Places like China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, Russia and potentially the the EU (lots of small countries who are growing) economically.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Mar, 2018
    gman65 likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think it will be as easy as the US thinks,some of the manufacturing operations from US listed companies that distributes it's products worldwide account for in some companies over 50% of sales and earnings and employ large amounts of capital at very high rates of return..

So they would want to be carefull and they only have 3 touchstones,bonds markets which China controls a very high%--interest rates --and the unknown..

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you. I am US educated and have a soft spot for it....over the years..it believe the USA has lost not only it economic but also its moral compass. As a result a country like China is starting to develop a lot of influence. Unless the current President or future presidents of the US pull their heads in and thinks longer term...and globally...they will be dire straits.

By 2030...I suspect China will be the largest global economy the USA will still be the second largest.....by 2050 they will be the third largest. It is very possible by 2030...they will only contribute 10-15% of the global economy that should get really interesting.....

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Seriously .......US ranked number 1:eek:

What about Australia....ranked number 13??

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2018
    Nadine Cross likes this.
  13. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

Nothing is going to happen, the US is just using this to try and Force China into playing ball. Who supports North Korea? China and look who all of a sudden wants to chat with the US. China has had a free run for a long time and the US is finally putting pressure on them to follow the rules.

Blueskies and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It worked

15. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

It sure did!
    I know everyone is big on the China train but they haven't been playing by the rules for a long time. They ignore international copyright, they manipulate their currency, they actively try to steal US and European Technology (via hacking).

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, now the worm is turned. Latest snippet - China being asked to set up manufacturing (cars) in US. Interesting the stick or the carrot.... clearly the stick worked.

MTR:)

17. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

brazil india indonesia and russia have major issues to settle before their economy is anywhere near size of japan let alone china and america.

wont bet against india becoming big 3 in the next few decades tho . just on sheer population size and having the biggest "middle" class in the world that is also educated.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Then why is Europe etc lumped in too? They've been playing fair and negotiated ball all along

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Tariffs for Europe have been put on hold for 30 days, my guess is further discussions will be happening here.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

EU now retaliates... interesting

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.