Cars & Motorbikes what happen if other drive has no car insurance and his fault?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by PropertyInsight, 22nd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I got car accident yesterday. The car behind me hit in my car rear when I stopped at traffic light. I have reported to my insurance company and they booked a date for my car repair. The insurance company told me that they will contact the other driver to sort out who made the fault.

I just wonder if the other driver does not have insurance and my insurance company cannot get compensation from him. Do I still have to pay to my insurance company for car repairing and collect the money from the other driver by myself; or the insurance company will take its own effort to collect the money from the other driver? The reason why I ask this is to avoid expensive repairing cost from the insurance company's repairer instead of sending my car to my own body repairer.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's why you have insurance - you pay the excess a d they fix it. It's the insurer's responsibility to chase the person who hit your car if they're not insured.

wylie, hobartchic and Joynz like this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If its the other persons' fault and you have ALL their details (eg Name, DOB, Licence, Number Plate, Contact number etc) then regardless whether they have insurance or not, you shouldn't need to pay excess.

Insurance will get your car fixed up and go after the other party and get money off them.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

And send it to the repairer who you trust.
    I tried to avoid using the "preferred repairer" where possible.
    "Preferred Repairer" = Cheapest repairer.

For most people near enough is good enough... and that's what the repairer and insurer are hoping for.

wylie and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Did you swap name and contact details with the person who hit your car? I always ask to see their licence as well and note the number. And take a photo of the number plate.

Is there some reason you suspect they aren't insured? If so, your insurance company will bill them directly for the repair.

6. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

yes, I have all contact details of the other driver. Thanks all for your advice.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If you are not at fault you don't pay an excess

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Fortunately one rule has changed. It used to be that you would lose your no claim bonus if the party at fault didn’t have CTP. In my case the party at fault was a kangaroo, and I lost my bonus. I had heard that that rule has now changed.

See Change likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Obviously unlicensed. Nothing worse than roos driving on back roads.....

The Y-man

Tim86 and luckyone like this.
  10. The Y-man

I found with RACV, only if you can get ALL the details (as mentioned above).

So if you just get the rego, first name, and phone number, it's not enough to kill the excess. I was saying to the call centre person, well what if the person gave me a false name? Surely they have better access to databases with reverse look up of rego # etc?

The Y-man

luckyone likes this.
  11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I think your insurance does not cover you when using your car on a race track either.

upload_2017-10-23_17-6-1.jpeg

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Roo'd

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I came out of my place a few years ago to find that someone had reversed into the front of my car during the night.

A witness had seen it and left a note with the rego number on my windscreen.

All I had was the rego. I called the police and they tracked down the owners name and number.

My insurance paid out in full based on that info.

JacM likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Always turn the licence over and take a photo front and back as well as the number plate. Hubby got all details, but not the address on the back of the licence but luckily the driver who hit us was honest and we found him on Facebook.

Westminster likes this.
  15. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Name
    Address
    DOB
    Rego number

All the info you need. You do not need to share contact info.

@PropertyInsight , you won't be required to pay anything. You identified the party at fault; that's all that is required of you. It doesn't matter if they don't have insurance or not.
    They will chase him/his insurance co for the money. That's what you pay good money for.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've found that people gladly handover their details (eg licence).

If they don't, i let them know I'll be contacting the police and advising them they refused to share details and that is an offence in which they can be charged for - I'm not 100% sure of the validity of that statement - but said with confidence, people will believe it ;)

JacM likes this.
  17. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I like your confidence. How many times do you have an accident during the day?

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Actually, we found the police wouldn't give us any details of the driver who hit our car, even though we had everything about him (front of licence, rego, full name etc) but hubby didn't think to turn over his licence and take a photo of the address.

Without the address, we would have been up for our excess (from memory).

Luckily this young chap was honest and we found a relative of his on Facebook. Even at that stage, he could have refused to get in touch with us. He had no intention of hiding anything or trying anything fancy. He gave over his licence (at the time of the incident) without any issue for hubby to photograph (and vice versa with hubby's licence) and contacted us once his relative said we needed his address.

He was a really nice young chap.

19. The Y-man

Agree - I think they aren't allowed to in Vic?

The Y-man

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

None thankfully :)
    But accidents do happen and I have had to use that line more than once... most recent was an overseas student with an overseas licence, driving his friends car, and didn't have insurance... rear ended me in my 1 month old car. :mad:

Insurer dealt with it, i didn't have to pay any excess.