What GAME are you playing?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by NHG, 26th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

WHAT GAME ARE YOU PLAYING?

I recently had a chat with a friend and asked him the following question:

"What game are you playing?"

Assuming you have all the grit, and skill, you are GUARANTEED to WIN.

What's the prize?

I am/was a Civil Engineer. If I busted my ass to be the best Project Engineer, what is the reward? Longer hours, $20k pay-rise. Promotion?

But if I play the game of development, I have the same 24 hours in the day, yet the prize is so much greater.

So the secret sauce is VISION.
    It helps to have your butt kicked by those at the top of your pyramid.

Are you aiming to win $100k/passive income by the ages of 65, or $1M.
    Are you playing to win the ability to spend time with your kids? Then why play the game for $1M?

Because if the prize isn't aligned with what you really want, then you never really win.

So what's your game? What prize awaits you?

craigc, ellejay, Perthguy and 3 others like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Really great question :) I did a video recently about this - how we need to think about the big picture atmospheres we want when we're making decisions, or we may not end up with what we really want!

We also go into it a bit in our course - the goal setting side of things is something most people don't really think about or take seriously enough...and they make decisions based on the 'logical next step' rather than thinking about the outcome they really want and whether the LNS actually will take them closer to it!

My prize is flexibilty. I want to be able to move around and do what I want, without being locked into a certain location.

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Nov, 2019
    ellejay, NHG and Curious2019 like this.
  3. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

My game is to take part in human ingenuity, invest in companies that take mankind foward, (maybe not the most ethical in search of profits), because i am not that smart, and these companies can hire the smartest people and do really cool things, and this is how i participate.

inertia likes this.
  4. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Not sure that development is a game that is a guaranteed win, but definitely an opportunity of infinite wealth in any 24 hour period.
    History is littered with failed developments, but well done for choosing the path and committing to it and trying to exit the rat race.
    Have you got on in your sights to do in the near future?

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm playing the long game. Been a lazy buy and hold investor and so far, laziness has paid off.

“If you aren’t thinking about owning a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.” Warren Buffett

“There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.” Warren Buffett

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2019
    Reddy, MWI, Chomp and 2 others like this.
  6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I play the cash flow/debt reduction game. Its a very simple game. Buy rock solid properties that help you pay down debt without relying on growth or having to sell. This game doesn't preclude you from achieving growth or selling if you choose to - it simply removes any reliance on either of those things. It also removes the two biggest booby traps from the game - the holding cost booby trap and the borrowing capacity booby trap.

Played patiently over @ 20 years, the objective of the game is to deliver a debt free result with a very handsome income stream. And having removed the two booby traps named above, it also has the additional advantage of delivering future capacity to play a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round of the game should someone choose to....

the game is open to anyone .

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2019
    Codie, Marg4000 and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Nothing stays the same....so I guess the Game is about adapting. The objectives however has been relatively constant throughout the journey of 20 years so far - an non-exertion income of $1m per year (before tax).

As time has gone on, I've had to modify how and what - for example, when I started off I was fairly confident I could generate 10%pa on my capital - so I figured I needed to get to a net worth of about $10m to get the $1m pa.

As we have gotten closer to that mark, I realise the truth is closer to the 5%~6%pa mark. So realistically we need $20m to get the target income.

Then tax becomes and issue as well, so as discussed elsewhere, part of that $1m per year would now likely be in the form of CG than actual income - hence continuing to hold CG type investments like resi IPs.

Therefore in the future it may look for example like $200k in actual cash income for spending, and $800k in CG, which probably makes more sense than generating $1m in cash income and then reinvesting what is left after taxes and spending.

The good thing is, even if we get to the halfway mark at $10m, we'd have effectively $500k pa coming in, which is not bad (+ no plans of stopping work any time soon either!!)

The Y-man

Reddy, Brady, Codie and 3 others like this.
  8. euro73

first world problems :)

9. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Playing the long game, hit singles and doubles and accumulate runs over time. The target is $100k passive income in 10 years, and $200k in 20 years.

Strategy is to buy and hold ETF index or blue chip with value due to short term market volatility. This will aim to give 5-6% gross div yield.

Have my main PPOR paid off and limit investment properties to 2-3. I have a feeling in the long run, property investors will become the government's honey pot for raising tax income.

So far, passive income is around $20k. Everything stays same I'll be $50k in 5 years so on track.

TB

Codie and BarneyRubble like this.
  10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am NOT playing a game.

What I am doing is NOT a playful structured/unstructured activity for the purpose of entertainment, amusement or pastime.

What I am doing is serious. The quality of the rest of my life depends on it.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I never really thought about playing a game.

My only vague objective was to retire with as much money/assets as we could. I figured the more we had the more choices we would have.

Worked for me.

MWI likes this.
  12. euro73

What a buzzkill

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Business was the game we fell into, and it truly was a game where you get to play any and every strategy you can think of.
    Went in with no academic qualifications or specific experience and zero start up costs apart from initial stock, had nothing to lose at the time.
    There were no long terms plans in play, it was just about making money at the time.
    After 12 years of hard work had built a good sized business which helped accumulate a good sized propety portfolio.
    Then cashed out of the business and retired on rental income.

Don’t know what or when the next game will be.

MWI and Ryan23 like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It was posted with a slight taint of jest :D.

I assume your post was also tainted ;).

15. KinG3o0o

my game, is to reinvest my inheritance and not the spent it all in one place.

16. Ideacrash

Ideacrash Well-Known Member

Am already in mid 30's . My game is invest in ETF's or LIC's and aim to get an passive income of 40K in the next 10 years. Anything more than that I think I will be screwing the current lifestyle and aim that i will have a good lifestyle after 10 years. I think we need to enjoy the life when we are physically fit and young . Who know what happens after 10 years . Having said that I am not burning all the pay cheque.

Whoever posting that they are close to achieving 100K+ passive income , congratulations. I seriously cant think of doing that in the next 10 years with mine and my partners day job salary just by investing in LIC/ETF's.

Tofubiscuit and MTR like this.
  17. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

My game is to continue what I did since I started.
    To be healthy, spiritual, wealthy, wise and giving.
    But most important is to be LOVED by those I love!;)

willair likes this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Beyond $40/50K passive (assuming a paid off PPOR/no rent and no financial dependents) any additional funds are wants not needs. I'm guilty of that - but I have expensive wants ie copious amounts of int'l travel.

19. KinG3o0o

haha i think for most sydney people with modern lifestyle, double that after tax might not be enough

20. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

There are some pretty big assumptions there - and my mentor, Benny Hill, taught us what happens when you assume.

inertia likes this.