What do you use to model / visualise financial scenarios?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by kacheek, 26th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kacheek

kacheek Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm looking to do some modelling for myself to see what the ramifications are for different strategies in personal finance, involving savings, income streams, buying property/shares.

What's a good way to do this? What do you use (Excel? Python? Other software?) Do you use a financial planner or DIY?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

PIA by Ian Somers is good for real estate - PIA Software

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I use a simple spreadsheet, put in our position "now", and then copy and past it below, change "sell XXX Street, put 300k into offset, 300k into super" and change the income, outgoings involved in selling one house (for example). It is simple, but does clarify how putting cash against loans, into offset, reducing repayments, or totally closing a loan etc changes the cashflow and assets.

I have no clue about shares because we don't hold any outside of super.

4. kacheek

kacheek Well-Known Member

@wylie did you develop the spreadsheet yourself or buy/download one?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I developed it myself.

I have two. One with assets and liabilities that I update from time to time.

The other is income and expenditure. Simple, but accurate and I've just updated it yesterday, modelling what happens if we sell one house, pay down loans, totally repay them, or sit funds in offset.

I remove the rental income, reduce the loan repayments (depending on which option, repay, reduce or offset), and see what happens to our income and cashflow.

I have a spreadsheet with everything anyone needs should something bad happen to me. It holds insurance details, and our broker's name, separate pages of loans to our kids, and the repayments made so far. Budgets, interest rates and repayments. Different pages that our sons know to access if they ever need to take over.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

XLS for everything

Portfolio management
    Business planning
    Project feasibilities
    etc

DadWealth and Terry_w like this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A very few financial planners have proprietary systems they have developed over a long time which take into account everything including your calorie intake and consumption :)

ta
    rolf

mkbonline likes this.