What do you spend your money on?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ouga, 21st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yes!!!! That made my day (your son loving the pic).

When I finally go back over all my pics I'll see if I've got any other awesome NBA pics and I'll send them over to you for your son. I wish my kids got that excited :-(

Average ticket price was around $300 USD - so $3k USD for 10 games. Most tickets were close to courtside. Worth it? yes!!!!!

Glorion and Jess Peletier like this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

My wife told me she spent $1,300 on Adele tickets for us and the 8yo daughter.
    I don't even like Adele....
    Don't know what she's thinking.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You should have seen him when I showed him - he was playing on his ipad and literally scrambled up and looked like he'd been handed a million bucks :D He'd love to see your pics - thank you!!

Jamie Moore likes this.
  4. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Last one was in January. I watched the 3 youngest (primary & secondary school ages) climb out of a helicopter in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The look on their faces I will never forget, they were all completely gobsmacked & speechless as they looked up in awe (as were both my Wife & I admittedly).
    To share something like that with them had me tear up a little (they were too infatuated to notice me).
    I had a wonderful childhood, but we could never, ever afford to ever go O/S. A holiday as a child was a drive & then pitch a tent at a fishing/shooting spot Dad picked somewhere.
    I feel very fortunate that my Wife, I & our children have been able to travel to many places I only looked/dreamed of ever going decades ago reading National Geographic Magazine.

Looking forward to our next planned trip approx this yime next year. Heading to the UK for an Uncle's 70th Birthday/family gathering then off to see some of Italy for 3 weeks.

samiam, ellejay and devank like this.
  5. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Travel!
    We held our investment property for 15 years, sold up once we were retired and the market was up. We have put some of the profit into our super, and kept some to fund our travels.

We weren't high earners, worked for 42 years, and lived fairly modestly. We saved hard to afford a brief trip to Singapore every other year with our daughter. As we got older and our salaries rose we were able to spread our wings further, and also take on an investment property. We never splashed out on flash cars or lived in Mcmansions. I have no regrets. We still live fairly modestly and enjoy our travels.

samiam, Angel, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  6. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Well not mining stocks, but a 12c tech stock. Threw the scrip in the bottom drawer, and occasionally checked on their price. Held them for 13 years. We were enjoying a coffee overlooking the beach one morning and I decided to look them up. They were $1.55! Sold them right then and used the money to pay stamp duty on the purchase of a studio in Newy using funds from an inheritance.

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Well done, Zeehan, more power to you.

Maybe you want to check that bottom drawer once more for some discarded gems, maybe you picked up some Fortescue Metals all those years ago for the same price...

Zeehan likes this.
  8. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

I wish!
    I still have a coupla penny dreadfuls in the bottom drawer but I think they have probably all gone backwards, if not disappeared altogether.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

As for me thinking of going on a holiday overseas when I am eligible for my long service leave and the timing is perfect because my studies are also coming to an end, but think it's temporary only because I generally like studying and learning new knowledge. I sometimes laugh when people say they don't have enough time to do anything because I certainly have juggled alot in the last 12 years and unless they have a legitimate reason, just procrastinating.

10. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

What Patek(s) so you have?

Ouga likes this.
  11. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Interesting replies guys!
    Lots of traveling of course.
    Do you usually indulge when travelling or tend to travel on the cheap?
    We used to travel a bit on the cheap but since we took a trip where a part was organised by a family member and that had nice hotels and activities it's made us rethink how we'll travel next time around. We'll probably indulge more, after all it's not everyday you get the chance to travel, so might as well enjoy it fully.

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My old merc, bikes, we dine out a lot.
    Otherwise we are fairly small spenders and don't have a whole lot to show.
    Starting to spend on antique furniture now that we are settled

I try and splurge on my extended family a bit, especially the ones who supported us as kids. I buy time though... eg an extended (boozy) lunch with my grandparents yesterday.

13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Not retired yet, but looking very promising for later this year.
    At that time, would have no problem spending up to 2k a week for myself on athletic training/coaching, diet and some golf.

luckyone, vbplease and Ouga like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... dang ... was planning on a bit of frivilous spending but (ahem) accidentally bought another investment property instead

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You're encourageable! (Though your husband might call you incorrigible.)

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Power tools - does that count?

Semi-exotic fruit trees that inevitably die at my hands (the wife has now banned me from buying any more)

I did recently splurge on an acoustic guitar - ok so it was $180 but I love it - and also a Roland Cube 20x some years ago for my electric.

I also bought a Casio CTK-7000 but that was a mistake - should have spent more and got a Yammy PSR-S class (on the wishlist for when I retire the Casio).

Travel to church conventions - not too expensive but several trips a year interstate and overseas.
    Once we are a bit more financially comfortable, I want us flying biz class.

The Y-man

Jess Peletier likes this.
  17. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Coffee and short kids holidays and cruises.

I made the choice a little while back to work part time from home rather than the crazy city corporate world. So my property wealth has given me time rather than money. Sitting at the local cafe on a workday feels like the best guilty pleasure.

luckyone, vbplease and Zeehan like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yeah - don't ya hate it when you stumble across something where the numbers just stack up so you simply can't "not buy"

19. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

We indulge in the things that matter (experiences) but otherwise travel economically. I'd prefer to take 4 trips by being financially responsible whilst traveling rather than blow it all on a single luxurious jaunt. Whilst a $500+ /night room in a 5 star hotel is nice, it does add up quickly & once you've done it quite a few times you realise that traveling more often is a better return on your travel dollar...

luckyone, hobo, Zeehan and 1 other person like this.
  20. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

1..Books

2..Kmart Decorating

3..Magazines

4..Supporting older children

5..Computers...one always seems to need replacing.

6..Op shop clothes odds and ends

Pretty happy actually don't need to buy more than this.

But Intending to spend...

7..Upgrade family Home

8..Live or Retire Overseas

9..Purchase an investment watch

10..Try to dress better purchase better quality clothing

11..Find a hairdresser I love and stick with him/her.

12..A new car to co-ordinate with my new home.

13..Take a look at and learn more about antiques and art!