Technology & Social Media What do you look for when buying a new laptop?.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 20th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for the help,ended up buying from JB-HFI with a dvd writer for $624.oo ..

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Best upgrade you can do is the SSD drive

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks..

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

its ******* amazing how some technologies are these days,
    laptops were a luxury at $3k+ when I was at school, and $1k+ for entry level when I was at uni

you can now get a throw away 11" touch screenlaptop from jbhifi for like $350

6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

My 250 dollar one quit working after about 14 months and lots of money wasted due to poor retailer advice. I spent ages researching an alternative. I'm typing this on my new-to-me reconditioned netbook, delivery free, 12 month warranty. All my stuff is basically on the cloud now (multiple sources) with some paper back ups so I only needed something basic. Using Google Docs instead of paying for MS Word and inbuilt free virus checker. I did want a DVD drive but was not worth the expense. Bought via ebay. So far, so good. Lenovo ideapad 100S, less than $150.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In the mid 90s, a colleague spent $10k on a laptop. He didn't tell his wife that he was using the money they had set aside to build a new deck.

I wonder which one would be the most valuable now?

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The wife would have devalued significantly . .

The deck can be fixed

Truly Exotic, Terry_w and geoffw like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

When I was at school a laptop was a typewriter. They did have electric ones though.

The school had a computer lab and I did that subject. DOS only if my memory is correct. Very uneventful.

My mother was a secretary, then a PA, then an EA, and then whatever came after that. The company she worked for at the time were early adopters of PCs and she had some computer that was flash for the time. I thought this is the future so I need to learn to type. I was only the boy who did the typing elective. As a result I can touch type 80-100 wpm. It amazes me the number of young (and not so young) people that have never learnt to type and just do the woodpecker thing. I also learnt to use my non dominant hand for the mouse - that way you can use the mouse and still write, use the telephone etc at the same time. I'm incredibly right handed but using my left for a mouse was easy.

Gockie likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like the left hand mouse idea. I might try it.
    15 years working full time as an Analyst/programmer you'd think I could touch type. Maybe I'll try to stop looking at the keyboard now....

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will be awkward to start with. You need to change the settings so that the right button is the primary button. When instructed to 'right click' you will need to left click.

As an added bonus you will always know when someone has used your pc as the mouse will be on the other side. Either that or someone will tell you your mouse is playing up.

I'm sure there are tutorials you can do online. I'm told that once you start touch typing it is far slower than pecker typing at first. Stick with it - it will pay off.

I'm not sure if everyone is the same with touch typing but I can finish a typed sentence or paragraph and listen to someone talking, take in what they are saying and nod at them. I can't answer them and type at the same time though - perhaps some can. So something like nod nod nod - finish sentence or paragraph. Then look at person and say - you want me to get milk while i'm at the shop, low fat.

edit - I wish I learnt shorthand.

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2018
    Gockie likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.