What can I do to this kitchen?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by mini2, 13th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Yeah, the photo's look great @mini2 but as I say, I have never seen it in the flesh, so actual close up quality I can't really comment on.

2. Propagate

Oh, and it was White Knight "Tile Paint" for clarification, in case White Knight also make regular paint?

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Wow some great examples! @wylie that's quite a job to oil paint in gloss but I must say the result looks quite good. White just lightens up the whole room, doesn't it?

@Propagate nice looking job with the White Knight. We've used this on 2 kitchens (hand painted no rollers) and the result is always surprisingly good. The trick is in the cleaning I reckon, as prep generally needs to be squeaky clean for the paint to have the best effect. Of course if the carcasses themselves are in good condition a repaint is an economical way to extend the life of the kitchen especially if you're not planning to change the benchtops.

@mini2 I'd be wary of putting black stone tops in unless you enjoy constantly cleaning the streaks/smears you'll see in the highly reflective surface every time you pass the kitchen :D- we got this done in one PPOR (via Granite Transformation) and it drove me crazy trying to keep it spotless (I do like a clean kitchen :p so am probably a little more anal than most) I'd go for a warmer earthy colour- lots to choose from these days with caesarstone and the rest. Best of luck with it all!

Gockie likes this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Back when I did these kitchens, there was a WK laminate paint. I've also used their tile and "Tub'n'tile" paint but the laminate paint was certainly different.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with the consensus - paint the cabinetry white - new chrome handles - I wouldn't worry to much about the appliances as white is making a comeback - as big an overhang, on the dining and sides, of the island bench as you can muster (I think 300mm is the most without additional support).

I wouldn't go black with the benchtops - unless you were staining the timber floors a dark colour. Go for something in an earthy tone that will compliment the floor colour, as there will be enough contrast with the white already.

Change the tapware and should come up a "new kitchen"

6. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Yep will be staining the floors a timber colour. They are a bit of an eye sore at the moment if looked closely to them. Bought some new tapware ahead of settlement too :)

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just wondering Propagate... The white looks really good btw... what would people use that space to the right side of the kitchen for? It looks too small for a dining table.

8. Propagate

Not sure @Gockie I've never seen the house in the flesh, if it had had a better overhang you could put stools there and use the counter ads a breakfast bar.

The next time this join needs a renovation we'll put a door in there and make better use of the roofed deck behind, open it up a bit and make a nice outdoor area. At this stage we just needed to get the place updated and ready to let.

It's only a samll house, there was a wall between the kitchen and living room so the kitchen would have been really tiny and dark, We had that wall taken out so the photo you see is actually taken from the living room now the wall has gone and it's one nice big open space.

Bran and Gockie like this.
  9. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Having a look at this thread for tips - about to update a kitchen and I'm thinking the quickest, easiest and cheapest way is going to be painting it. Scrolling through pinterest and I saw fake wooden bench tops which looked awesome:

[​IMG]

Step by step instructions here.

This is the kitchen I need to do something with:

[​IMG]

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

@JessicaP That will come up nicely with a bit of tile and laminate paint. Even the tapware looks acceptable.

I love those old windows.

Sackie and JessicaP like this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks Propagate. Just checking ... it was WK tile paint ised on laminate?

12. Propagate

I believe so.

WattleIdo likes this.