What are the requirements for a laundry?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 6th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hi all I'm thinking of turning our small bathroom and the laundry into one good sized bathroom but this means having to build a new laundry.

My questions are:

1. Are laundries considered wet areas as such? Ie should they be sealed with an aqua seal and do we need to use blueboard?

2. What type of flooring should they have? Can they have timber or chipboard flooring or should they be on a slab? Do they typically have drains in the centre of the floor? I was just thinking of finishing it with normal gyprock and lino flooring but maybe it needs to be set up as more of a wet area? It'll just have a washing machine, drier, sink and some storage.

These are probably silly questions and its a little hard to explain but I'll be converting a little utilities room into the new laundry, and extending it a little. Its already under the existing roofline but I will be intruding into the carport a little, which is no drama because its a big carport. The existing utilities room is currently on a chip board floor, so I'm wondering if I continue that out to the new section, or replace the lot with floorboards or contrete the lot - the only drama with concrete is that its built up about 300mm.

All advice greatly appreciated! :)

EN710 likes this.
  2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware a room specifically allocated for a laundry isn't a mandatory requirement, your choice to have one or not. Some turn their laundries into a 2nd bathroom.
    You could put a machine under the kitchen bench, in the bathroom, garage, garden shed etc.
    No floor drain required, just like a dishwashing machine in the kitchen (imagine if the hose blew on that :eek:)
    As for flooring, do what ever suits you & budget.