Franchising What are some of the worst Franchises ??

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

‘All I can do is deal with what I’ve got’

Have heard stories/rumours that a lot of franchisors in general deliberately make profits by taking over failed shops and reselling

Not sure if this has always been the case or isolated to a few

Nattl3s and geoffw like this.
  2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

There is only so much room in the profit margin for the many mouths to feed.

The issue with franchises is that, irrespective of the system, other than the top-tier brands, it's difficult to extract 7 to 10 extra percentage points for the franchisor, and for the franchisee to remain profitable, particularly where the business is not in a high margin area such as, for example, jewellery, cosmetics, or upper end fashion (apparel, bags, shoes etc)

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

McDonald's and hungry jacks seems to have dropped their prices significantly over recent years

E.g. $2 cheese burgers,
    $5 burger chips and drink meals.

And i wonder how on earth they make money on them

Empire likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

geoffw likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

7. geoffw

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

There's a bit of a theme here - the franchisor sells the franchisee its stock, controls its pricing, can unilaterally impose capital costs and is in control of all marketing. The franchisee has little control, does all the work and bears all the risk. Massive alarm bells.

Dave Radelaide, wylie and luckyone like this.
  10. geoffw

Subway is cheaper to get into than many other franchises, but ongoing costs typically are higher. Advertising used to be a much more effective spend when there were very few avenues for advertising. Now, I don't often see Subway advertising anywhere.

I don't think that markup on stock is anywhere near that of some of the franchises I've heard about.

The old loyalty scheme was awful. The franchisee bore the cost of free subs. Some franchisees were selling rolls of loyalty stamps on ebay - leaving other franchisees to bear the costs.

$50pm plus 1.5% of turnover of the app isn't that bad. I don't know though if there's a reimbursement for redemptions though. Though, as a customer, I don't see the scheme as particularly good value. It doesn't encourage me to join up.

The franchisor organisation wasn't too worried about profitability of franchisees. They got their fees based on turnover, and as long as total turnover was increasing, they were happy. There was a big expansion of the store numbers.

I think that, like many large organisations, they couldn't pivot rapidly enough. Their formula was working well, so they did little to change it. I recently visited a store for the first time in a long time, and I saw a lot of new products- this is something that would not have occurred some years ago. So I think they're trying to change. Some of the changes should have been made a long time ago - promoting new ways of upsizing the basic product.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

is that on top of the 12.5% they already pay?

sounds awful!

I was a bit surprised at the success of subway from the start, I did enjoy subway and still do but I dont think their food offering is at all unique or special,

also what does a foot long cost now, $10?

getting a bit pricey for what it is in my opinion, compared to the other fast foods

12. geoffw

Yes, but that's 1.5% of the transactions which go through the app, not of the total turnover.

More stuff about Subway today
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/sma...-over-staff-underpayment-20190809-p52flv.html

However, this is not the franchisor which is at fault - except if you accept that the franchisor should be a policeman of wages, in which case the percentages taken out would be much higher. Franchisees are like any small business - they are responsible for their own staff payments. They can't blame anybody higher up. The ombudsman used to inspect businesses regularly. A franchisee who did the wrong thing got the chance to put it right - back payment for a limited period, and a subsequent audit. There is not franchise wide staff agreement - each franchisee is responsible for their own staff conditions and agreements, although there are recommended providers who can help with the process if required.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Agree,
    You can't control/micromanage what a franchisor does.
    E.g. Franchisor could go out to Coles and buy cheese to use instore
    It's impossible to know unless the head office notices reduced cheese supplier orders

Edit: so franchisees just arbitrarily choose a figure of hourly rate to pay employees?

14. geoffw

A franchisee is like any business owner. They must abide by the law. When I had my business, I had to pay according to the award, or I had to have a workplace agreement - where the conditions overall couldn't be worse than the award. There could be some variation for penalties or base rate, but the overall rate must be at least the same. The workplace ombudsman could, and did, come in to inspect the books at random at any time. Any employee could also complain to the ombudsman if anything wasn't paid legally. Though I know one business owner who didn't pay superannuation - by the time a complaint was submitted, he was already bankrupt (incidentally owing me a stack of money for his purchase of my business).

TMNT likes this.
  15. geoffw

I think if you're a franchisee, you have to be more careful than if you had your own independent business. Franchise chains are much more often the subjects of investigations than the little guys - by the media as well as by the authorities.

One of the reasons franchisors like to control the supply chain is not the profit so much as the information. They have a good idea from the amount of produce you are buying how much you're selling. Discrepancies ring bells.

Small guys have a much bigger scope to break the rules. In backpacker areas especially it can be really difficult for a jobseeker to find a job paying the award. Cash in hand is rife. But Joe's cafe underpaying doesn't make the headlines like 7-11 or Subway underpaying.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yes it is, especially for small cafes etc.
    underpayment is too, its just how the industry is, its always been like that

what surprises me is that franchisors dont give the franchisees a rule book or system that says, you must pay $x on sundays, $y on weekdays, and full time must be $z per year
    it would be in their best interest of the franchisor for the franchisees to not get caught out underpaying

17. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Presumably the idea is dont tell the franchisees anything so head office have plausible deniability. If you put it in the manual, the question becomes why head office didnt make sure franchisees are complying with company rules.

18. geoffw

Franchisors may tell franchisees where the legislation is, they tell them what their obligations are (not just employment), they give guidance as to where to get help. They have preferred suppliers who know something about that franchise. They may even harp on about the importance of doing things the right way. They don't however actively police or enforce.

In the end, it is the franchisee who is responsible for breeches, although it's the franchisor which cops the flak.

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

well, if the recent reported behaviour of franchisors
    eg sending ****** products
    over charging
    not renewing leases
    forcing unreasonable renovations
    not allowing sales to proceed
    forcing franchisees to buy new equipment to only cancel the promo/product quickly

if this sort of behaviour is the default
    they franchisor deserves everything they get

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member