What are options if cannot do subdivision in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbourne171, 10th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Red tape is shorter time frame also build product

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably not far off the truth.
    They complain about illegal immigrants, but they would be screwed without cheap labour.

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Always interested with people's idea of project homes and whether or not they are an inferior product. I don't know the area but could you possibly engage a project home builder to lock up then fit it out with 'luxury' extras. It's amazing what a difference good taps, some polished hardwood flooring, elements of blackbutt around bathrooms and kitchens and a nice timber deck can do. Makes the house feel more expensive and less like a project home but at a fraction of the cost.

Observer likes this.
  4. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Sign all applicants, floor hardwood and anything else as variance cost. Pick up the applicants, floor hardwood and anything else at store by yourself and tell builder buy from stores. Payment will be the actual costs of applicants, floor hardwood.

5. melbourne171

Hydraulic report is received. Contract becomes unconditional.

The following issues are registered in my journal.

1. Site slop toward to the rear. No private stormwater on the site. Engineer report suggests to connect into neighbour stormwater pipe. Neighbour consent is required. I know that this is hard.

2. To meet overland flow overlay requirements, the area of 530m2 has to be filled. What is the fill cost, including engineering and builder costs?

3. Street crossing in front of the house. Extra cost for removing council asset.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

melbourne171, post: 283663, member: 6920"]Hydraulic report is received. Contract becomes unconditional.

The following issues are registered in my journal.

1. Site slop toward to the rear. No private stormwater on the site. Engineer report suggests to connect into neighbour stormwater pipe. Neighbour consent is required. I know that this is hard.
    Could go both ways. Make sure you have a well planned and thought out approach before you engage with them.

2. To meet overland flow overlay requirements, the area of 530m2 has to be filled. What is the fill cost, including engineering and builder costs?
    Start talking to builders and engineers for approx. costings.

3. Street crossing in front of the house. Extra cost for removing council asset.
    Hope you have a decent contingency in your feasibility.

My 2 cents.

7. melbourne171

Next steps

1. Ask the civil engineer sketch the stormwater connection drawings

2. Contact next door to ask for stormwater connection consent. I am living interstate and do not know how to contact the neighbour. I knocked their door when I flight there but no one was at home. How should I find thier contact numbers? Should I ask Council for their contact numbers?

3. If I am lucky to get neighbour consent, engage town planner to prepare development application for lot reconfiguration, including survey, meeting with council, address issues, and lodge development application. No point to prepare development application prior to getting neightbour consent. It wastes money if neighbour rejects.

4. If development application for lot reconfiguration, carry our operational works and compliance works. i.e. connect stormwater, water, electricity, driveway, council asset removal etc

5. Work with architect design / project builder (i.e. Metricon) to get architect design, working drawings, engineering drawings. I am not quite sure if it requires planning application approval by the Brisbane Council? If yes, do you think this steps must be done together with development application for lot reconfiguration or deferred until subdivision completion.

6. Obtain construction loan approval

7. Commence construction with a selected builder

Do you see the steps above are right order?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

With regards to approaching the neighbour, you can do it anyway you like. I have in the past asked my town planner to approach them and explain the situation, what is proposed and that their property will be left the same way we found it. Maybe they get an upgraded fence or something of that nature. Then we see how it goes from there. If compensation is brought up then best to have a plan.

Also if it were me, I'd be having a pre-lodgement meeting with council with your town planner present to discuss the project. You will most likely get good feedback and be steered in the right direction.

Also I'd have a talk with my finance broker to make sure construction finance wont be an issue.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2016
  9. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Just a quick thing to clarify. Providing the council approves the lot reconfiguration is there any kind of a deadline to finalize it? E.g. let's say if one is not in a position to start construction immediately after the subdivision (e.g. because of finance, etc.).

10. melbourne171

Hi Observer

I heard that deadline is 2 years for Operational Work and Compliance Work after the development application is approved. I do not know if it can be extended. Someone can answer this?

11. melbourne171

Hi Leo

Thanks for your advice. A bit scare as I has never done interstate subdivision. This will be my challenge but excited.

Best wishes for your projects, Leo.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Thanks @melbourne171. Looks like pdonline is indeed invaluable source of info :). Just checked the subdivisions similar to the one I want to do and it looks like in some decisions it's 24 months while in others it's 48 months. Looks like most are 48 months.

Went back to browse pdonline :)...

13. melbourne171

Hi mates.

Do you know how much it costs to fill 530m2 area and about 28mm height? cost per m2?

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Observer for Brisbane as far as I know the lapses are as follows:

1. Material Change of Use - four years for the first change of use to start
    2. Reconfiguring a lot not requiring operational works - two years for the subdivision plan for the reconfiguration to be lodged to council for
    plan sealing
    3. Reconfiguring a lot requiring operational works - four years for the subdivision plan for the reconfiguration to be lodged to council for plan sealing
    4. Building Work - two years for the development to substantially start
    5. Operational Work - two years for the development to substantially start.

@melbourne171 DA approvals in Brisbane can be extended prior to a development application lapsing. You will need to lodge a Request to Extend .

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2016
    melbourne171 and Observer like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Might give you some idea. The letters up top correspond to the city.

wewe.jpg

Leo Liu and melbourne171 like this.
  16. melbourne171

Hi Leo
    Thanks for the table above. I am not quite understanding the table. What is "cum"? and how to calculate the cost?

17. melbourne171

Update the issues:

Stormwater: Talked to Council and town planner today. If neighbours rejects, the last option is to connect to the front road stormwater. It is costly but it does not cause end of the journal.
    Street crossing: Council mentioned this definitely is an issue. Engagement with a traffic consultant may be required. Council says cost to move street crossing is expensive but could not tell me how much. Does any one know costs of moving the Council asset?
    Overland flow:
    this is unknown answer. Pre-lodgement meeting is suggested by the Council.

18. melbourne171

19. melbourne171

Town planner suggests two options for driveway crossovers.

1). Shared driveway without relocation of street crossing.
    2). Keep existing driveway. New narrow drive way for a new dwelling. Give new driveway good distance from street crossing. Bring this issue in prelodgement meeting to get feedback from Council. Council may require either traffic impact report. If street crossing has to be relocated, it will be costly. Does anyone how much for relocation of street crossing?

For me, option1 saves the subdivision cost but it may significantly reduce the product end value. I rarely see two front houses share the same driveway. It is not preferable.
    Option 2 more appeals but I do not know its actual cost upfront.

Any ideas?

20. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Hi Melbourne171

My apologies for coming in late. Also, I don't know anything about this site other than what you have said. You mentioned previously that 85% of the site is affected by overland flow. That in itself is a major issue. You could engage a hydraulic engineer to model the overland flow path and prepare a flood report which will accurately (as far as modelling is accurate) model the overland flow path (i.e. 50 year ARI). However, you will probably find that the mapped overland flow path will be somewhat similar to the modelled flooding.

Your TP might have told you that you need at least 300m2 of flood free land for each lot. It is very unlikely that your flood modelling will reduce the overland flow path from 85% of the site to 25% of the site.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of filling the site either. As a general rule, Council would not support significant filling within an overland flow path as this will divert the overland flow onto adjoining properties. Any filling within flood affected land is to result in no worsening.

Unless I am missing something, I would say that your chances of subdividing the site are slim to none. You could engage a hydraulic engineer to model the site and prepare a flood report but this would be a waste of money in my opinion.

Cheers
    Liam