Whar would you do to modernise this fascade

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Otie, 10th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We are currently doing a cosmetic Reno on our IP before we put tenants in.
    Inside is under control, garden I have sorted out what I'm doing,but I'm stuck on how to pretty up the fascade.
    Planning to pressure wash the roof tiles, and paint the gutters and windows.
    I really don't know what colour to paint them. I keep coming back to white only because I don't know of any other colours that will suit it.
    It's a 60's build.
    I really want to drag it out of the 60s so that its nice and modern to reflect inside. I do t want to render as I think it will just look tacky, but I do really hate the brick colours!
    I had a go on the paint websites uploading the photo and testing paint on it but either I was doing something wrong or those programs are just crap!

Attached Files:

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think:
    Trim the bushes on the window and make it neat and square
    change the handrail into... maybe white wooden one?
    I think render would look nice if done properly

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I think it's cute! I'd avoid rendering as I think a more modern finish will just highlight the tiles. If you're going to render I'd also get the roof refinished.

I agree re hand rail, and maybe go one step further and create a small deck at the front?

Also agree re trimming bushes.

craigc, bob shovel and EN710 like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Terracotta tiles to the concrete step/landing - it is cracking up.
    Remove and possibly install a new aluminium handrail (not really necessary as it is only 300-400 mm from ground level
    Trim bushes/update plantings (but tenants probably won't maintain them)
    Replace the mailbox

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I've stripped the plants from the yard and am going to do some sleeper garden beds and recycle all the iris, agapanthus and yukkas from the back and put some bark down.
    Hand rail is going as it's simply not needed.
    Going to retile the front step/porch as won't have $ for a deck (hubbys a tiler) and just going to use left over tiles.
    Do you guys think best to repaint in white and stick to the existing colour scheme?
    Yes I think render would only work if we did repaint roof

6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

How about a simple facade transformation like this one? Very, ah.. modern?
    hmmm.png

Otie likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

modernise with a swanky carport at the front, can make massive improvement if done right and relatively cheap

8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

or just a simple yard tidy, new mailbox, paint gutters/fascias and maybe paint your side access gates (are they plain galv at the moment?).

You could pressure clean your bricks when you do the roof. You probably still won't like the brick colour, but I'm sure that your new tenants won't mind it.

Also, I hope you're not planning on putting the sleeper garden beds against the house walls. Bad idea.

wylie likes this.
  9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I could whip one like that up with stuff lying around this weekend

Chrispy likes this.
  10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, then you could tell people it was designed by an architect whose design brief was "go nuts".

Otie likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would not pressure clean the roof. I love the roof as it is. Our son had to have his tiles removed and trusses replaced, and he had the old lichen covered tiles put back on so they are visible from the street. His house has a transverse gable (like yours) and the back of the house was extended and they didn't have enough tiles to use the old ones, so the back of the roof has new ones. Nobody will ever, ever see the back and front at the same time (except maybe in a hot air balloon).

Those lichen covered tiles give the house charm, grace and character. And I'd keep the brick too. It suits the style of the house. You may not like them, but plenty of people will.

I would replace or paint that side fence and I also would remove the railing (as you already plan to do) but I would add a step at the front so the step is L-shaped. That gives a wider step for taking furniture in and out and adds some pizzaz.

I also like the idea of adding some very dark grey, or black trims. Black and tan always look classy. You could paint the window trims black or leave them stark white to complement the black.

bob shovel, EN710 and Phase2 like this.
  12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Trouble with a house like that is anything you do to modernise it just makes the rest look dated and once you scratch that surface, its hard to stop.

Unless you are chasing a reval and the facade update will materially alter the rental amount, I would tile the front steps like SNM said, paint the handrail (black or white), ensure downpipes, gutters, facias and windows are well painted in white, tidy up garden and remove the little front gates which never get used.

wylie and 158 like this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A new driveway would add value,plus just by looking at the deflection around the r\h side of the roof around the chimney stack it may pay to have a look at that area..imho..

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It may depend how much you've spent inside to get the front to match.
    But as a start with low cost/maint in mind do your garden planting idea to the lwft and right of the porch and then a central step and stone footpath like so. .. (gardens not that deep, keep them to about 1m deep )
    unnamed.jpg

I think stick with the white it's modern maybe vivid white (?) Or something sharper. But once it's done it will lift it.

And that left wall bothers me :p maybe plant one tree shrub thing that will grow to max 2m to hide it? ?

wylie, Chrispy and EN710 like this.
  15. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

There is an old saying;
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Tidy it up, not sure about "modernising" it..

wylie likes this.
  16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

No i disagree to disagree sir, i think op can do it!

A few colour changes and planting will update it. Won't be "super trendy modern" but will change some of the original items and won't be a tired old house but a spruced up old house :D

wylie likes this.
  17. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think I worded it wrong- your right I'm after more or a spruce up, and a a bit of a rejuvenation, rather than modernise. Just want it to look sharp

wylie likes this.
  18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Hmm I like that! Especially those pavers staggered like that- takes your eye away from the house. That wall I was thinking 1 or 3 feature plants, though not sure what yet, something that doesn't grow higher than 2m so that it fits nicely.

19. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If I have any spare cash will do a driveway, if not will be just leaving as is but bordering the RHS of it to block access to the front lawn (so they don't park on it and turn it into a mud pit)

20. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

You have a sharp eye- that flashing is leaking- its on the list to replace:)