Wet markets up and running again!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

That's no justification for it. There are parts of Chinese culinary and medicinal culture belong in the dark ages. The world simply can't and will not sustain an ever increasing demand for endangered wildlife. We have China financing the killing of endangered species across the globe, taking part in blood curdling animal torture on a massive scale at home and continuing with 'wet markets' which are perfect breeding ground for disease. Not only that the CCP are trying to avert any blame for covvid19 and are supporting stupid conspiracy theories to do so. Yeah, I think we have a right to be angry.

bmc, Bunbury, Doncossack75 and 3 others like this.
  2. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

When people talk about the consumption of animals there is a difference. Eating a dog that is being cooked alive is a horrendous disgraceful behaviour. The other thing is it’s very bad to consume animals that are carnivores as opposed to herbivores, much different health aspects for humans to do this.

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Apr, 2020
    Perp, Bunbury, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  3. George Smiley

Why are they allowing the wet markets to continue? The reasons are numerous- they may employ a considerable number of people, are considered part of the culture and the chances of another covvid strain developing immediately is somewhat slim considering how long these horrid markets have been in operation without consequence (probably decades).

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Apr, 2020
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

True but no need to increase the chances by eating bush meat

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Serveman likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is not the first time that wet markets have caused this scenario

Once the dust has settled I think China will
    Have the pressure of many countries to close these wet markets
    WHO will also be involved in this process

i think main focus at the moment is to contain the virus

Its not just China who trade exotic wild life its Africa and other Asian countries.

its got to stop

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Apr, 2020
  7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Yes, same as the cattle trade in the UK! Same with pigs in the US!

I see a fair bit of what I'd call racism towards Asians due to this, we've got to be careful not to fall into this trap.
    A Chinese person eating bats is no better or no worse than a Pom eating beef or an American eating pork. All three have got their share of blame in starting diseases.

To this being lab created: :rolleyes:

Perp likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This may explain it and some facts
    Wuhan Coronavirus and wet markets - GISP - Your technological partner in China

Please lets not go down the racist avenue its just defecting from what is happening.

China was not the only country mentioned above

we are talking about the current scenario and when it started and how it started and the global catastrophe.

please do not derail this thread. Just start your own

9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

There's a lot of "how could they" in this thread and while I completely agree, I think we really have to take off this guise of superiority when we do exactly the same ****. Ever seen footage from inside live export ships, piggeries or any other factory farm? Just because it's out of sight unless public wet markets, does not mean we should forget about these.

It's really not your call as to whether I'm allowed to post my opinions in this thread either.

Perp likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But we are talking about how the virus spread and why?

no we dont do exactly the same as China etc,
    We have government bodies and guidelines in place to help prevent disease. Albeit not perfect but some control, policies in place to manage this

Could you imagine a wet market in Bondi, selling exotic, extinct live wildlife/animals in cages and slaughtering in situ??

There is no control over this clearly, and why we have coronavirus today. Its not about China its about eliminating this practice so we dont have a repeat of this global catastrophe

qak likes this.
  11. significance

significance Well-Known Member

People need food, even during a pandemic. For many in China, wet markets are where you get food. The city middle classes have access to modern supermarkets, but the poor and rural populations don't. Live animals are sold in food markets because most of them do not have refrigeration, so this is the only way to get fresh meat. Culturally, this is the equivalent of Australia keeping its supermarkets open during the pandemic. There is some risk that supermarkets will help to spread the virus, but they are an essential service. We are rapidly ramping up our home delivery capabilities, but that can't be done all at once, and until it is in place, our supermarkets need to stay open. Wet markets, for the poor in China, are just the same.

Perp, The Y-man and shorty like this.
  12. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

So the poor people eat bats and pangolins?

AlphabetSoup likes this.
  13. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Why is it racism? This isn’t a slur against the Chinese people but a criticism of the Chinese government for not taking the required action. I’ve got plenty of Chinese people in my family and we all think the Wuhan wet market and others should be strictly controlled.

In fact my (Chinese) son-in-law even suggested that when the next virus appears in China there could be a legal case for other nations to sue the Chinese government for not taking the most simple measures to avoid a repeat of the Wuhan incident.

14. significance

significance Well-Known Member

Whatever protein they can get, yes. But it isn’t only animals that we’d find exotic that are sold in these markets. The wet markets are where they go to get staples: chicken, fish, fresh vegetables.

Perp likes this.
  15. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

No, but equally (regarding the spread of the virus), I can't imagine the beaches in Dalian or Hainan packed with morons after their government told them to stay home.

The issue is not with wet markets as a whole, it's (possibly) due to exotic animals being sold there. I am fairly sure the Chinese government will ban that if they haven't already.

Also interesting that, for a few more bucks a few years ago we would probably have a vaccine for this already:

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

Perp likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

doubt Chinese government will ban sale of exotic animals. It should have been banned after SARS ....never happened

I think Action will be taken from world leaders once the dust settles. Too busy trying to save people and their economies

17. George Smiley

The major difference between cruelty to animals as food in Australia compared to countries like China is that here the unnecessary suffering is the consequence of commercial neglect and indifference. In China (and some other Asian countries), in addition to commercial neglect, there is also the goal of torturing the animal in a number of ways, prolonging it's agony and giving it the most painful death possible. Why else would they boil and skin animals alive, burn them alive with blow torches or beat them to death to release maximum adrenalin in the meat? It's this leveraged sadism which is so disturbing.
    That in no way downplays our pathetic and shameful record on animal rights either (just look at live export) but we can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

I think there's an opportunity to shine another spotlight on this while wet markets have the worlds' attention. Just the other day Shenzhen became the first city to ban the eating of cat and dog meat. If this is strictly enforced then it's a major positive given Shenzhens sheer size and economic significance in China.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2020
    Doncossack75, Serveman and MTR like this.
  18. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

What rubbish.

Eye fillets, rumps and pork bellies in Australia have stringent regulations to the point of sale.

The last time I went into Woolies and Coles, I dont recall seeing Bat Mignon, Bat Wing Niblets, or Bat Nugget Surprise, although I cant imagine how much extra tomato sauce they would sell if they did.

Pulling out the racism card is unnecessary, and it would have been more appropriate to pull out the obvious stupidity card.

And Bruce Wayne would probably be appalled.

Doncossack75, MTR and bmc like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I like eating croc, fish, shark etc....Do they count?

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member