wet and dry vacuum cleaners

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by WattleIdo, 12th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Needed to clean up all the old paint, cement and dust all over the reno this weekend. Otherwise it all gets stuck in the paint. Have hired a wet & dry vac from Coates for 100 bucks a day but will be needing to do a lot more vacuuming. Electrician coming to do some chasong on Monday.
    Any recommmendations? Bunnings has a Ryobi for $300 and a Makita for $700. Will they hold up to fine cement dust, paint stripper and other renovation grime? I've already destroyed a stanard vac. Do you have one?

2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

We just have a cheap Ozito ($50?) one for plaster dust and other bits and pieces. It goes surprisingly well for the way it's treated.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Plaster dust kills vacuums! It's so fine it gets in and destroys them.
    Old broom and mop! Then when the dust comes back the next day use the vacuum, then the next day, then the next day! But just be vigilant with cleaning filters and probably a cheapy

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I have a cheap one. Its great when the hot water tank leaks everywhere!! I use an old vacuum to clean up the plaster, etc and the wet and dry for cleaning the carpets and getting rid of excess water. It has worked well for years.

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks - will get a cheapie then!

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Or get a good one vac and add a cyclone on - dust deputy deluxe would be a good choice for dry stuff, not wet though. Will probably allow plaster dust cleanup too.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Get one from Costco and try murder it so you've got a valid excuse to refund it after the job?

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Best $50 I have ever spent! Hyde Hand Sander Dust Free Vacuum Plaster Tool 9165

I've done probably close to 50 hours of sanding with one of those with the ozito vacuum attached. It has a super fine filter bag which seems to prevent the powder from getting where it shouldn't.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

That's a great reno tool, Kinnon. I have an electric sander that has a vac, but for a hand sander that's a really good find - even if it only gets 90% or so of the dust.
    WattleIdo, get the cheaper vac from Bunnings and keep the receipt. If it dies within the warranty period, they will exchange it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't try it at Masters, the warranty may outlast the business.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hey, we had 4 wertheim vacs, I sold of the wet/dry one, but we have a couple that have been used for cement dust, plaster and regular duties for years (over 20) and not one has died, the wheels are breaking though (should ask for warranty hey )

If doing wet and dry, I would buy the cheap bunnings vac, keep water in it if doing dust and it will probably spare the motor, at about the 60 buck mark, you can afford to blow one up a year anyways :)

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Will keep a look-out for that brand. Not a great range available at the local Bunnings.

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The Werthiems are too expensive, I nearly bought one of the cheapies from bunnings recently myself, only reason I did not was I have too much stuff now and not enough space for it all !

I would just get the Ozito or eqiv. as others have said.

PS do you have a masters up there at all ? I don't think there is, but they are selling a lot of stuff off, but I think SNM said, they may not be around for warranty issues (if it is even worth worrying about at 50 bucks)

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I like buying the ozito ones for the 3 year warranty for these type of jobs.

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. 5080

5080 Active Member

Have both 30L and 60L Ryobi vacs and use them attached to 5inch grinder and twin bladed 9 inch grinder. Over a year later of use both still work fine. If they spit out a bit of dust, just clean the filter and orange pre filter bag and carry on. Work best with paper bag but work well with out. Pretty robust and have received a fair amount of abuse from myself and the labourer. Work very well as a wet vac also, used 30L one recently to suck up a bottle of spilt cider off living room carpet ;)

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. 5080

5080 Active Member

3 year warranty not applicable to trade use, if bought on a Powerpass trade account card, kiss the warranty good bye as it is a DIY range of tools.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip!
    But i don't use it for trade anyway - which is probably why i would blow it up within a day due to overuse. :p
    Then I would argue with them until they gave me my money back or exchange it for another unit. :)

18. 5080

5080 Active Member

If you don't have any luck you can always try another store as they will take a return from any other store, they even offer returns with out a receipt which is why I use the powerpass card for a record of sales.