Westpac loan discount good?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Simon Arabian, 24th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Arabian

Simon Arabian New Member

Hi All

I was taking stock of offers this weekend and discovered some rather attractive offers being offered by some of the other big 4 banks. To add insult to injury, Westpac (my current loan provider) is offering a new loan product for IP called "Flex First Option Investment Loan" which is 3.49% (<70% LVR) and 3.59% (>70% LVR). My current discount on the Rocket Investment Loan is 1.50% which brings it to 3.88%.

I sounded my concerns to the mortgage officer at my local branch via email, and noted some other attractive offers in the market. Without hesitation, I got a response within the hour increasing my discount to 1.74% which would bring my P&I IP loan to 3.64% p.a.

Is this a good deal or is it common to get a higher discount / be asked to match offer for new customers? Thought I'd note we're talking about a loan size of ~$2m which is currently at around 60% LVR.

Appreciate your thoughts

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Something's note quite right in the figures quoted. The P&I Rocket investment loan SVR is 5.28%, so with a 1.74% discount the delivery rate should be 3.54%.

There are a number of second tier lenders currently offering what's essentially the same product with rates of 3.39%, a couple even go quite a bit lower.

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Westpac's pricing is very sharp - we are seeing circa 2.86% - 2.94% for owner occupied P&I under 70% LVR and 3.19%-3.23% for investment P&I in the $2mil loan amount range.

Plus they are doing the $3k cash back per property until the end of Feb although St George have just come out with $4k cash back but Westpac has the superior interest rates.

Cia and oracle like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If rate is the only driver, then there many lower REAL cost options out there

ta
    rolf

5. Simon Arabian

Simon Arabian New Member

Thanks for your replies
    The Westpac site has it as 5.38% here: Home loan interest rates tables

The loan is pretty much 50/50 between two properties. The one property is a large townhouse with a commercial unit attached on the ground floor and Westpac was the only bank at the time willing to treat it as a residential mortgage at 60% LVR max. Even though the commercial aspect is ~20% of the total property, no other lenders were willing to touch it and were referring me to their business lending arm. In the past, the main deterrent has been when a bank has ordered a standard valuation only for them to come back a say a non-standard valuation is required because of the commercial unit.

The unit is currently sitting empty and I'm considering converting it into a 2 bed self-contained resi flat (like a granny flat) with the hopes that it would open the door to more lenders, and would pass for a standard valuation.

Conscious there are better rates in the market and I'm also aware of the limitations given my situation. I have a couple more questions:
    - Is the 1.74% discount good or can I get higher with westpac?
    - How is their new product offering (Flexi First Option Investment Loan) any different to the Rocket Investment Loan? Is it only a honeymoon rate (even though site specifies a different SVR and discount is for life)? Can they just not offer me this product?

Many thanks again - really grateful for your input

6. Rolf Latham

Flexi loan dunna have an offset

ta
    rolf

7. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

I recently financed my loans to Westpac got $2k cash back. Rates as you state Shahin 2.94% for OO PI and 3.19% for Investment PI. all 80% LVR. I'm v pleased as I have full offset account facilities for both. Previously was on almost 6% II on Investment with Pepper due to original 92% LVR to purchase. Luckily the II grew in value over the past 2 years.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I have some loans with them (resi). And it's like 3.45% IO investment.

I've got commercial with ANZ sub 3% IO.

9. Rolf Latham

Bank bill backed though perhaps

different animal

ta
    rolf