Westpac Investment Loans - advice

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by headphonesmania, 30th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. headphonesmania

headphonesmania Member

I am interested in those that have Westpac Investment Loans or those that can provide some advice.

Currently I have about 700k with Westpac split 50/50 with:

- half fixed at 5.69% for 2 more years (break cost is 11K): and
    - the other half variable with a 1.3% discount at 4.72% (note about 70% of this is currently offset, i.e. paying no interest on 70% of variable, but potentially looking at buying something else soon)

LVR is below 60%.

I cant do much about the fixed but feel the variable is a little high, any thoughts?

BOQ offered a 3.94% 3 year fixed rate which might be good as a direct swap for the above fixed (but yes, rate isn't everything, and there are many other considerations). Of course, if I was to break, I can claim as a deduction.

Any thoughts if the variable rate Westpac is giving is competitive or any other thoughts on the situation above?

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Rate is a silly reason to move. Boq looks good now, next week It'll be another lender.

I'd start investigating your options with the new purchase and perhaps move one or more properties to a new lender, if possible or required from a structure perspective.

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Westpac isn't going to come close to the BoQ rate but the big question is why is the LVR sitting at 60% and why haven't you extracted the equity up to 80%?

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Variable rate is higher than current market rate - if you call retentions you may be able to get it down 20-30bps. Perhaps get a quote from another major on hand beforehand or do some quick research to get lay of the land on current market rates.

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's hard to get the retention team to reduce rate when you have a fixed loan in the mix- they know the cost of refinancing will be high.

Propertunity likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What is your end goal ?

Different criteria for those that have ma n pa loans that they want to pay off and never do anything again until we sell to fund retirement village, versus someone that wants to build a portfolio.

More often than not chasing rate over availability of funds tends to cost much more than a few points of rate in the long term.

ta
    rolf

TheGreenLeaf likes this.