Westpac Increases rates for investors

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Terry_w, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

wategos likes this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

St George 0.25% according to the article. Not overly happy about it, but not as bad as it could have been either!

3. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

Confirmed.

Westpac will increase rate for existing investment loan by 0.27% as of 25/9/2015 ( LOl at the delay ....i guess their IT pplgot a deadline to meet...)

For new investment loan it will increase by 0.27% as of 10/8/2015

Also Westpac has made a few policy changes, making them a lot hardier to service and hardier to take out equity...

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Harder or hardier? If hardier like a Tonka truck, that sounds good.

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Bugger - they were my next preference.

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I've got a few IO loans with them and the 5 year IO period is due for renewal next year. I'm wondering whether their tick and flick IO renewal process is still going to apply or whether they will look to move more of their business to P and I loans?

7. Terry_w

8. tonyc00

tonyc00 Member

Hi

Can someone explain to me the logic behind the delayed timing of teh rate increases.

Existing investment property customers will have their variable interest loans increased from 25/9/2015 - are Westpac hoping that existing customers will switch to fixed interest before 25/9/2015.

And the interest rate for new investment property loans (not "new" customers) will increase from 10/8/2015 - are Westpac saying load-up now because rates for new loans are about to increase.

Thus as someone with several IP's with Westpac, and looking for more, my best option would seem to be switch to fixed interest for existing loans, and jumpin now for any new loans.

Where is the benefit to Westpac by the delayed implementation.

Tony

9. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

It was mentioned somewhere in this forum: Westpac is having a technical problem (computer?) and unable to implement these changes in time. It seems that other banks just pressed a button for implementing this rate hike. It is in the news too.

10. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Westpac couldn't differentiate between PPOR and investment lending. Software problem.

11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    This is a tough question.... especially because Westpac seem to be taking an incremental approach to their tightening. I suspect you'll be an easy target for them, though - remember unlike AMP, who needed to get under the 10% APRA threshold by Dec 31 this year, Westpac and other lenders have until June 30 2016 to do so - hence the incremental approach rather than boots and all approach of AMP.

Given how far over the 10% threshold Westpac is.... making it hard for I/O terms to be renewed seems like low hanging fruit to me . You should seriously consider refinancing to a lender where you can secure another 5 or 10 years I/O, while you are able to- just as a contingency. Otherwise, consider the possibility of being P & I next year, in an environment where no one is readily open to taking on I/O refinances.

HUGH72 likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I agree get it done asap. I have one due in 12 months but I'm not waiting. Be too greedy and you'll get burned.

HUGH72 likes this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts @euro73.
    I was a long way from any serviceability wall but it appears to have been moved a little closer. I will look at obtaining some more funding sooner rather than later though.

14. starlight

starlight Member

Hi Guys,

In lieu of the rates hike by Westpac, has anyone decided to switch to fixed interest on your loans? If so, what rates are Westpac offering at the moment and for what loan amount?

15. Terry_w

Many have panicked and fixed. But in my opinion it doesn't necessarily follow that it is a good time to fix.

chylld likes this.
  16. Timkot

Timkot Active Member

In other big end of town games like petrol price the overlords like ACCC are always looking for collusion. Can anyone tell me how this move on investors of roughly a quarter per cent is not a classic example of collusion. There may b e a reasonable reason but I am just asking

17. Terry_w

Yes, this is really collusion. But it could be argued that the first bank established the increase amount and the rest are just following the market now.

18. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Its interesting hey - one bank comes out and the rest follow - what is the real cost to the banks? as an alternative - I am using non bank lenders - no ********, real service and lower rates...why not?

These increases are nothing more than a disgrace.

Cheers Ivan

19. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

There are lots of options.

As to what volume options there really are, im not so sure middle term.

The vast majority ( by volume of funding) of "non bank" lenders are funded by banks, and I fully expect the last remaining BS and CU will also go for the grab ( assuming there is one), because after all, Investors a soft mark and can afford it.........

ta
    rolf