Wentworth by-election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 12th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the coalition (the branding their minority government) getting the boot and hopefully a strong progressive representation in both houses.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

3. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

yeap. Gives her time covert protest vote into solid margin. When the electorate realise that they don't have to have a Liberal member to represent their centrist views, well why would you bother voting them in.

As for Labor...same deal, the coalition government is in its death throes. The longer they thrash around and look more incompetent, more time to convert on the fence voters to vote for someone else. Gives Labor more time to continue to push out well thought out policies rather than desperate political policies to save the dinner ware.

4. geoffw

Perthguy likes this.
  5. geoffw

While the late surge towards Libs from postal votes may be to do with well-to-do entrenched voters travelling, there's also a possibility that, give the electorate's large Jewish population, that observant Jews who could not vote on the Sabbath would have postal votes. Possibly the policy flip about the embassy in Jerusalem had some impact after all.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fortunately or unfortunately, lots of people travel OS nowadays be it to Bali or US, Europe or Asia. There's probably a higher % in parts of the electorate eg Double Pay vs Wooloomooloo.

How much truth in the statement would probably need some research into the % of prepoll, absentee etc votes received.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes, my entire family and most friends did postal votes.

8. geoffw

I was checking the numbers on the aec website, and say Sharma's primary vote dropping.

Then I heard that, apparently, several hundred votes had been put into Sharma's pile by mistake.

That might have just been enough to seal the result for Phelps.

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I hope he loses. My mind was firmly changed after what I think was an absolutely stupid decision of ScoMo to get involved and his even stupider decision to talk about a $200 million move of the embassy to a city that is no ones capital yet.

10. geoffw

Actually, Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The problem is that Palestine claims East Jerusalem as its capital (splitting it away from Israel), and the Israelis claim that its capital is a united Jerusalem. A country putting its embassy in Jerusalem is in effect recognising Israel's claim on a united Jerusalem, to the ire of the Muslim world.

So far, only the US and Guatemala have embassies in Jerusalem - though I'm not sure if Guatemala has actually relocated its embassy there yet.

But i don't think that the policy has been properly thought out. It was announced by Scott Morrison, to the surprise of even members of his cabinet, and had all the appearance of a carrot to the Wentworth electorate. It may have been that it was also a part of his evangelical Christian view of Israel.

For evangelicals, Jerusalem is about prophecy, not politics (opinion) - CNN

Last edited: 21st Oct, 2018
  11. Noobieboy

I would rather him spend the estimated $200 million (DFAT estimate) on aged care or education that would benefit all Australians rather than pull this move out of his @$&$.

Dumb move, he is supposed to be a PM of all Australians regardless of his religious views, and even more deplorable if he is trying to buy votes.

12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Any government trying to get elected for a third term are always going to face an uphill battle unless they have delivered real results .
    By this stage ,and this applies to both Labour and Liberal , they start to carry a lot of baggage, and for many its just a matter of wanting a change(of government).
    Thats why many were surprised when Turnball got booted out
    For all the good results regarding unemployment, there is the prickly issue around almost non-existent wage growth and immigration levels.
    Without good wage growth banks cannot continue to write out bigger and bigger home loans,it also increases their risk ,as they have assumed over time that households will see their paychecks increase , properties values go up and the principal of the loan slowly paid off.
    Although it has taken them a few years to react to low wage growth.

TSK likes this.
  13. geoffw

Religious views played a big part in the same sex marriage debate. Even after the plebiscite, Scott Morrison, Barnaby Joyce and Tony Abbott abstained. Turnbull, however, was one of the Catholics supporting SSM.

Religious views can shape one's entire world outlook, and can certainly shape one's political views. This was very evident in Australia in the time of the Catholic based DLP, and is evident in the support of Trump in the US.

TSK likes this.
  14. Noobieboy

That is absolutely correct @geoffw. Doesn’t make it right though.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As advised on the news tonight - most of the postal votes were lodged before Scomo's embassy brain fart - the HIV email - and rumbles in the National party

16. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

The Libs need a good look at themselves as I don't think they are working hard enough as an organisation. The Malcom experiment has been a disaster in my opinion for the party and lot of damage has been done and the thought of Bill Shorton and the Greens in power, god help us.