Wentworth by-election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 12th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As a rusted on Liberal voter - I'm hoping Kerryn Phelps wins.

Sad day when a previous Liberal leader - and the son of the last sitting Liberal member (and former PM) - both advise the constituents not to vote Liberal. A Liberal loss will mean a loss of government ... and it's not even Christmas yet ... plenty of time for another two Prime Ministers

Anyone taking bets?

Serveman likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't even know who the Liberal candidate is.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Previous boss of the Australia Medical Assoc - articulate - intelligent - society minded - presents really well - female - and - gay ... got everything going for her

And it would give the Libs the kick up the backside they need. The petty squabbling - focusing on issues the public "don't care about" - lack of understanding the public's reality

5. geoffw

Gay in an electorate which had the third highest 'yes' vote in the recent plebiscite.

But she was already well know well before she came out.

6. geoffw

In the event of Phelps winning, the coalition would have 75 out of 150 seats. However, independent Cathy McGowan has previously pledged support to Malcolm Turnbull in matters of confidence and supply.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

True - but Malcolm isn't PM anymore

8. geoffw

I think I know this. That's why I explicitly stated his name in the undertaking she took.

I correct my previous post. The coalition has 74 seats.

However, I would suggest that she is more likely than not to support the government. In any case, there's one non government national on the cross bench and one member of Katter's Australian Party are more likely than not to support the government. I don't see anything changing before the general election.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know you know ... :D

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Today ScoMo is said to announce the moving of the Australian Embassy to Jerusalem ... please ... just no ... the international uproar and the damage to negotiations in that area of the world will be massive for the sake of trying to win over the 13% Jewish population in Wentworth.

Australian embassy in Israel: PM Morrison considers Jerusalem move

Just once I would like to see politicians make decisions on what's best for the world rather than simply vote pandering

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I commend the move of the embassy.

12. geoffw

I agree.

It's a move with a small upside (appealing to the 90,000 people in Australia identifying as Jewish, and a small group of those sympathetic to Israel, as well as to Trump himself) with a large downside (potentially antagonising 600,000 Muslims in Australia and a huge Muslim country immediately to the north).

I'd be surprised if those Jewish people in Wentworth wouldn't be already supporting David Sharma, a former ambassador to Israel and chairman of an Israeli company, so the gesture may be futile anyway.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. geoffw

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Aren't most embassies in capital cities? Is Tel Aviv the capital of Israel? Is the embassy in the wrong city?

15. geoffw

Jerusalem was divided by the armistice in 1949. Israel took over East Jerusalem in the war in 1967. The Palestinians claim that East Jerusalem is their capital, and their official position is that they want it divided. The Israelis want an undivided Jerusalem.

All embassies were located in Tel Aviv after the last ones moved out of Jerusalem in 2006.

Locating an embassy in Jerusalem is an expression that that country recognises the Israeli position, ignoring the Palestinian position.

The US made a law in 1995 requiring that Jerusalem be the location of the embassy. All presidents until now have declined to allow that move.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When Israel was attacked in 1967 it captured East Jerusalem from Jordan during the Six-Day War when it was vastly outnumbered and surrounded by the Egyptian, Syrian and Jordanian armies. Israel defeated them in a decisive battle. Subsequently, it was annexed it into Jerusalem, together with additional surrounding territory. One of Israel's Basic Laws, the 1980 Jerusalem Law, refers to Jerusalem as the country's undivided capital.

Israel has allowed the holy sites to be enjoyed by all 3 faiths. If it were controlled by the other mob, you can say good bye to all that. Jews and Christians would be having no access, among other things happen.

Anyway, I am pleased with the move, if it actually happens.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2018
    Morgs and Doncossack like this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sounds like they both want the capital in Jerusalem but can't decide upon which street. :rolleyes:

18. geoffw

I don't want to take this discussion further into Middle Eastern politics. I think it was sufficient to illustrate what the cause of the problem is; further discussion will take the thread away from the intended subject.

19. geoffw

20. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Looks like another Australian PM needs to be removed asap.

Lizzie likes this.