Well - that's rather sucky

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 16th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

What speed is the line? I pay TPG $99 a month for an unlmited 100MBit line on NBN. I usually sit around the 96MBit speed and in heavy congestion drop to 92ish (My suburb has a lot of old people in who wouldn't be congesting the network ;))

2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I logged into my Telstra account but couldn't find any mention of the speed for my plan. I did a speed test and got 93.5Mbps download, 5Mbps upload and 28ms ping speed. This is in Elanora which also has an elderly population.

I just read the fine print on my bill and noticed they've been charging me $9.95 per month for this ******** add-on which I never requested:

Telstra Broadband Protect
    Help protect you and your family on any device connected to your Telstra home broadband.
    • Helps protect devices connected to your Telstra home broadband service from known malicious websites and content.
    • Help your kids stay safe online with simple and smart parental controls.
    • Individually help protect up to six of your compatible Windows and Mac computers and Android devices by installing Anti-Virus Plus Security software.

3. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

The resellers don’t get the same reception. I’m with Aldi, used to be with Telstra, no good in country areas. Or in my living room lol

Marg4000 and Lizzie like this.
  4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Your speed is GREAT compared to the average but your Ping is a little high for my liking (Mine is around 10 for comparison), it could be a router problem or it could just be the area. Unless you are online gaming at a championship level though I wouldn't be concerned.

Yeah that broadband protect is crap, they just block sites that they deem to be unsafe and allow you to install McAfee or some other Virus protection service on a bunch of devices.

On a windows device protect yourself by simply using the windows protection (which is actually brilliant) and on an android and IOS device, only install things from the store. No need for further protection :).

It's money for fear and I have a big problem with companies doing this, they prey on people either not knowing or not "noticing" the addon.

Consider the number of elderly folks who are not tech savvy that are losing $120 a year out of a pension they may already be struggling on, but the Telstra CEO's can get a fat bonus each year so I guess that's okay then :(.

Momentum likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia