We will all need shrinks in 3 months

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 26th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I don’t live in Melbourne so I don’t really know.

But I am not going to to your viewpoint as the absolute truth.
    Happy to be alive, not in hospital and COVID free (so far).

Dan Donoghue, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

the thing is when you look at favourable comments on Andrews on PC they are posters who are not living in Melb. They are not on the ground, yet saying his doing a great job

Only one person from Melb mentioned how bad he is on this thread and Yman mentioned the mistakes made

I have lots of friends in Melb not happy vegimites

leaving all this aside ......If we measure success by outcome/results he has failed Melb And I mentioned the blunders, this is fact you cant brush this under a rug as we have the stats and we know the outcome and its Still not over

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2020
    BunnyXiao likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I'm pretty angry about the quarantine stuff ups and I don't live in Melbourne.

But the fact that the disease has spread so fast proves that enough people can't take precautions and the only choice is lockdown.

The fundamental issue is the centralised underfunded public health model in Victoria. Less than 50% of the resourcing per capita than NSW and around 25% of QLD. No surge ability and you can see that they just ran out of management capacity. And even worse, no plan when they need more capacity....

His view on Belt and Road is a little disturbing however....

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2020
  4. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Hi MTR,

I have not read the all posts in this thread. But i understand your concern of not being able to see your daughter and other family members. Dont get me wrong - i would feel exactly the same if i was in your situation.

However, look entire situation from neutral perspective.
    Would you say same thing about Australia being nanny state if we were in middle of war and there was severe restrictions in place for longer period than current one ?

For e.g. i never heard anyone complaining that their human rights and liberty were trampled by state in times of war. Everyone knows that they were trampled and millions died during wars. You can blame politicians and dictators for starting war, punish them by death sentence when captured etc but when you are in war, you follow what army says if u want to save your life.

I believe present circumstances are same - government is doing best as per their ability. U cant get everything 100% right in emergency situations. There will be always small number of people inconvenienced in situation like this. But it will be better outcome for vast majority of people.

Dan Donoghue, wylie, geoffw and 3 others like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Possibly because no one else considers them "blunders" ... but rather an attempt to work thru, make mistakes, learn, correct, guide, save lives in s situation that no one in living memory has gone thru before

Your very quick to put the boot in but not once suggested alternative options, that wouldn't end up in thousands of deaths ... without the constructive bit, it's only criticism and worthy of being ignored

6. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Hotel quarantine was a massive blunder.

7. kierank

I understand that that YOU do NOT live in Melbourne. YOU are not on the ground, yet YOU are saying he is a disaster.

So now you are becoming hypocritical.
    My two kids, their partners and my three grandchildren (aged 6, 3 and 2) all in Melbourne.

We talk to them multiple times a week. On a regular basis, we ask them how they are going, how they feel about what has happened, ...

Yep, they are finding it tough going. Who wouldn’t with three little ones. One thing COVID has proven about my family is that they are very stoic.

They are millennials and it is so good that they aren’t in the whinging category. They always tell us “It is what it is”.

To support them morally, we transfer some funds to them on a regular basis:- sometimes to the grandkids, so they can buy reading books, educational toys, ... and some times to their parents so that they can have a nice, home-delivered meal in us.

8. noomi_nooma

Hi Kieran,

That is great that you help. What about families that have lost jobs and have no family support yet still need to homeschool and keep a stable family unit together.

I fully appreciate your opinion, and I agree with you, but I think you need to think about others involved in this don’t have the same support that you/your kids have.

MTR likes this.
  9. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Australian unfortunately people need politicians that love Aussies like their own children ;)

How many are there?

MTR likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is how I feel too. Without keeping people "in place" whether that is locked down or limiting the spread through the rest of the country, we are likely to have it spread like wildfire as happened in other countries.

Those economies are suffering too.

Look what happened in the US with (I think) 15 cases to start and the government not bothering to do anything.

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2020
    Lizzie and kierank like this.
  11. wylie

I don't agree totally. The way the hotel quarantine was handled was the blunder, not the idea itself. People have shown they aren't staying at home, so sometimes people just have to be treated like children to keep others safe.

The problem was using the wrong people to watch them it seems.

Cousinit and Lizzie like this.
  12. noomi_nooma

Sorry - the way the hotel quarantine was run was a monumental blunder costing the state billions and sadly hundreds of lost lives.

The Y-man, MTR and craigc like this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

QLD tried, kept the borders closed but all that did was frustrate everyone who didn't take this thing seriously.

Now when we look at Melbourne and the borders have been closed again, the same damn people who whinged she kept them closed too long are now whinging she closed them too late.

No pleasing some people, some people just like to grumble :).

14. kierank

I didn’t realise that I posted that I don’t feel for them.

And I feel for the 572 Aussies who have died, their families and their friends who miss them dearly, ...

And I feel for the 20,000+ Aussies who have recovered as I believe many of them will have long-term health issues, ...

I have empathy for everyone doing it tough. I lost a younger sister in a car accident when I was 12, my in-laws went bankrupt years ago and they had to live with us, I suffered depression 10 years ago, my wife has experienced major health issues over the last few years, ...

I believe I have personally experienced some of the pain Aussies (and the world) is experiencing at the moment.

But I do find it a little annoying when some PC members post absolute cow manure. I will call it out as I don‘t think it helps.
    I believe I do.

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2020
  15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Meh, happens when the tiny but largely irrelevant world of some is disrupted.

VanillaSlice, Lizzie, wylie and 2 others like this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't live in Melbourne, but I do have a daughter in Melbourne, so that should give me the same right as you to comment.

It's been hard for her too. Her relationship has broken up as a result (perhaps temporarily). She was ok doing all her studies from home, but when her partner (FIFO to Bendigo) was also confined to working at home, both from a small bedroom in a share house, it became incredibly difficult.

And I have a cousin in Melbourne who I am close to. Initially, she and her family had to cut short an OS trip due to covid, and to self quarantine (when that was an option). Then, last month, her husband's mother, who she was dry close to, died from covid. So please don't lecture others on their right to comment or not, when others have as much right as you.

The feeling I'm getting is that it's a damn nuisance, but it's just a necessary inconvenience. Like living through a war perhaps.

Gockie, Angel, bunkai and 4 others like this.
  17. kierank

The blunder was that our politicians thought ALL Australians would be responsible and could be trusted to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, too many Aussies have proved our pollies wrong.

Gockie, Angel, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  18. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's interesting what this pandemic has done outside of the obvious terrible loss of human life. What it has effectively done is show how many people value self over group.

I'm not saying this is good or bad merely commenting that I have noticed it. There are a group of people who say "for the good of everyone I will do as I am asked" then there is a group of people who say "MY rights are being taken away, I can't do this, I can't do that, It's not fair on ME"

I don't have kids but I do have lots of family and we are across a couple of states. I feel that I couldn't be at my Nephews engagement party, I feel that we miss birthdays and I will feel it at XMas when we can't see the family but what if I go somewhere which a week later is declared a hotspot.

What if while I was there I contracted COVID19, what if I pass it on to someone here before I show symptoms?

What if that person then takes it into a hospital or nursing home or an entire block of units?

If I did have kids, I know which of the two types of people I would want them to think I was when they looked at me.

When all the dust settles and this is looked back on as a major event in human history, how do you want to remember your part in it? Did you help or did you feel hard done by as the rest of humanity grappled with something that our governments have done a relatively good job in shielding us from by comparison.

sharon, Gockie, VanillaSlice and 6 others like this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That shows cases on a relative scale.

Yes, Australia isn't doing well.

Screenshot_2020-08-28-08-21-53-93.jpg Australia is classified as a country which "needs to take action". So it would appear that the lockdowns happening are a really not sufficient.

In terms of numbers of cases per million, Australia is not quite so bad relative to other countries. Not fantastic, but not the worst either
    Screenshot_2020-08-28-08-17-50-81.jpg

kierank likes this.
  20. wylie

Did the badly run hotel quarantine cost hundreds of lost lives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.