VIC Watsonia the place to be

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Big Will, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I would be more than stoked! Show him what 1.2M got in 2014 (see my post above) and see how they feel now :)

2. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Is this the result of the proposed Ring Road extension having a speculative effect on the area?

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

What's the sound I can hear?

CCCCCrrrrraaaaaaassshhhhh :)

4. Big Will

Probably more the cost of housing being more expensive in Macleod and Rosanna pushing up the prices and people going to the next suburb to get a better house for less or a house within their budget.

5. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

You wouldn't have been able to rent it in that state. Quite a few light switches not working, light fittings broken, carpets ripped out, no polished floors, kitchen bench about to cave in, taps not working properly etc.
    I estimated reasonable reno at 30K (if I was to do/contract most items myself) and thats why I was surprised that it sold for 700K. Even if you look at building duplex like next door, there wouldn't be much money in it for any profit.

6. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. Here's a cheap one in Macleod!

38 Gresswell Road, Macleod, Vic 3085 - Property Details

7. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Weirdly enough, I'm surprised places like Heidelberg Heights is still relatively cheap compared to similar suburbs. It was once on our hit list but we missed the boat unfortunately for our budget (low to mid 700ks) it is now at least high 700ks to low 800ks. HH is towards the city instead of further out...It is next to the dangerous Heildelberg West but that is also gentrifying!

As someone mentioned prior, the thing about Watsonia was the fact that the closer your got to the station and town centre, the closer you were near a power line....that really broke the deal for me, I know some people don't mind..I personally find anything West of Watsonia very industrial or maybe it was the powerlines? Eltham and Montmorency to the East is a lush green haven IMHO..

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

haha - the only sound crashing is cars getting turnover due to the floods

kierank likes this.
  9. melbournian

Heidlberg Heights isn't that cheap new townhouses are edging close to 1mil

the theory stays true - ripple effect is happening just like in the east and west.

10. kierank

I have heard the news in recent days - is it flooding in Watsonia?

11. melbournian

yeah little bit - not as bad as logan floods.

kierank likes this.
  12. kierank

Yeah, I feel so sorry for the Logan bogans.

It's not the first time they have been under water and it won't be that last.

13. Scyth

Scyth Active Member

There are plenty of good streets in Watsonia away from the power lines and still within easy walking distance to the station. Just stay away from elder street and you will be fine.

FromWatsy likes this.
  14. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

We live in Watsonia Nth. I never even paid attention to those power lines untill noticed ppl mention them on ppty forums (like here). They hover mostly over the highway, train station, then parking and then stretch to somewhere out of sight towards Bundoora, but over roads away from houses.
    I'd recommend Watsonia Nth, rather than Watsonia (cause I live there, lol) somewhere close to Watsonia Nth primary, Binnark park, there are very pretty houses, nice resort like feel, it's still walkable distance to the train station. Takes me about 15 min to reach the station. At the same time it's not too far from Greensborough and there's very nice walking path passing Kalparrin gardens -lake and then towards Greensborough -nice for a walk on Sat mornings. I like Watsonia,/Watsonia North because it feels safe and people are freindly. We also used to live ages ago in St Kilda east and Caufield Nth. And it was overcrowded there even back then. Now it's probably much worse.

15. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

Seriously? Where abouts? I've never seen even a single puddle on the streets. It's all uphill after Macleod, unlikely to flood ever.

16. kierank

My son lives in Watsonia. He has had his garage doors washed away twice in the last few years.

I always thought Toowoomba would never flood. How wrong I was.

17. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

That's interesting. Is't due to the landscape, garage is on a lower level than the road?
    Anyway, I should knock the wood, one never knows.

kierank likes this.
  18. kierank

Basically it was overland water from properties across the road which are on higher ground.

Apparently, water flows down hill :) :).

Everyone thinks properties in Brisbane flood. None of our properties in Brisbsne have ever flooded (so far :)) .

The same people think Toowoomba and Melbourne would NEVER flood.

My Mum lives in Toowoomba and her place had flooded; my son lives in Watsonia and he has suffered flood damage.

Mother Nature is an interesting beast.

19. Scyth

Scyth Active Member

I've lived in Watsonia for years and never seen any flooding. Storm damage to a property can happen anywhere.

20. Big Will

kierank likes this.