Water leak next to shower in the ensuite bathroom

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Montu, 8th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Montu

Montu Member

Hi All,

I have shortlisted a property I am looking for investment.

I had an inspection and the agent told me there is a leak near the shower area behind the tiles. The agent told us we can add a clause to fix the leak in the offer letter. The current owner is following up with building insurance to get it fixed.

Should I just put that in the offer letter and proceed with the offer? It's only a 6-year-old house.
    I am thinking there may be a lot more damage behind the walls than I can see from outside and may affect me in the long run.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi Montu,

Last time i bought and had a leak in shower the seller refused to fix, and i bought anyway. The issue was a simple fix as it was the taps leaking inside the wall, fixed with minimum of fuss. The plumber said that this was very common, which is also our experience and why we didn't stress too much.

Up to you, but a quick look at the taps might be worth it :)

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Could be a range of issues - shoddy build (redo waterproofing and tiles), tap isse (as per @boganfromlogan), to a nail driven through a water pipe during build (don't laugh - it happened to me!!)

I would just price a rebuild it into the offer (or just be prepared to spend it). Don't let the vendor fix it - because you got no way of telling what they did - it might nothing - through to applying some sealant on the grout.

The Y-man

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Montu

Montu Member

I have today been told by the listing agent the water leak is a issue which insurance company has to fix. The agent is telling me the property can be sold, its just settlement will get delays as I can put it in the contract "this contract is subject to the water leakage problem in the bathroom being fixed prior to settlement"

Do you think it is safe to give a offer to the seller?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Whose insurer? The vendor's? Strata? Builder's? Yours?

6. Montu

Montu Member

Seller is following up with his building insurance company.

7. kaye_p_

kaye_p_ Member

My understanding is that their building insurance would (if covered under PDS) fix the water damage but not the leak itself - the seller would have to fix the leak before insurance carries out internal repairs.