Water efficiency compliance NSW tenancy.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by twobobsworth, 10th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I have a PM requesting that a plumber attended the property to undertake water efficiency certification. Cost $99.

This is so that water usage can be passed onto the tenant.

The PM is requesting this to be done at that start of every new tenancy. It was done 12 months ago when the previous tenant moved in.

We also have to sign off on the following declaration:

¨ I/We give permission for your Agency to engage your preferred Licensed Plumbing Contractor to carry out the following plumbing works to my/our investment Property at my/our cost.

(a) All internal cold water taps and single mixer taps on the premises (other than bathtub taps and taps for appliances) must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,

(b) All showerheads on the premises must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,

(c) There must be no leaking taps on the premises at the commencement of the residential tenancy agreement.

¨ I/We will engage my/our own Plumbing Contractor to carry out plumbing works to my/our Property to ensure compliancy. I/We understand the works must be carried out by a Licensed Plumbing Contractor and release the Agent from any possible litigation if the Property does not comply with Legislation allowing cost of water usage charges to the Tenant.

I/We further understand it is my/our responsibility to provide proof of compliancy to your Agency to ensure costs of water usage charges may be passed onto Tenants in the future.

All other properties managed elsewhere were made compliant a few years ago when the new regulations came into place and plumbing repairs are addressed as needed.

Does anyone else have a similar request every new tenancy?

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Are the beginning of each management agreement we have the properties checked but never at the beginning of each tenancy

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ as Chilli said, we've never been asked to check at the beginning of each tenancy.

I suppose the issue the REA is trying to cover for, is where you have a past tenant that removes the water restricting devices or replaces shower-heads etc (which we know some tenants do).

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does the agent suspect that the fixtures are non-compliant through use?

Compare photos of the tap ware at the time they were certified and current.

If they've changed then get a plumber.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No, not every tenant, the agent can easily check on inspection if taps are dripping.

6. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

I`ve resurrected this thread found by searching since I find myself in the same boat as the OP after receiving this email from (new) PM:

"Hi Roger,
    Upon checking our records it appears that we do not hold a Water Efficiency / Compliance certificate for your properties.
    In order to continue to charge water usage to tenants it is a requirement to have this on file.
    Please advise how you wish to proceed.
    Regards"

It has been my understanding that although properties must be water efficient as per standard NSW RTA (below) there is no actual requirement for any certificate.

11. The landlord agrees that the tenant is not
    required to pay water usage charges unless:
    11.1 the landlord gives the tenant a copy of the
    part of the water supply authority’s bill
    setting out the charges, or other evidence of
    the cost of water used by the tenant, and
    11.2 the landlord gives the tenant at least 21 days
    to pay the charges, and
    11.3 the landlord requests payment of the charges
    by the tenant not later than 3 months after
    the issue of the bill for the charges by the
    water supply authority, and
    11.4 the residential premises have the following
    water efficiency measures:
    11.4.1 all internal cold water taps and
    single mixer taps for kitchen sinks
    or bathroom hand basins on the
    premises have a maximum flow rate
    of 9 litres per minute,
    11.4.2 all showerheads have a maximum
    flow rate of 9 litres per minute,
    11.4.3 there are no leaking taps at the
    commencement of this agreement or
    when the water efficiency measures
    are installed, whichever is the later.

Is it a legislated requirement in NSW to have a Water Efficiency Compliance certificate, or is it just something that PMs like to have to cover themselves in case of a dispute over water charges?

7. dabbler

No, not as far as I know, but it must be compliant, so how do you or pm know it is ?

Each pm does things differently, some want a letter or cert from a plumber, other do not care.

If it is compliant, you could just tell them to keep recovering usage and if you get into a dispute, you cpuld be made to return payments.

8. Scott No Mates

The regulations so not require a certificate - linky

For expediency (or butt covering), the PM is looking for certification that it complies, ie going the extra mile.

R.C. likes this.
  9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

And from Fair Trading:

Proving water efficiency
    The presence of the water efficiency measures needs to be noted on the ingoing Condition report for the premises. There is no requirement to provide a report from a plumber or the water supply authority certifying their existence. However, it may help to keep:

• invoices or file notes of work done
    • receipts for any items bought
    • packaging, warranties or instruction manuals.
    If you are unsure if your existing taps and showerheads meet the required standards you could carry out a simple bucket and stop watch test to see if, when fully turned on, the flow rate is less than 9 litres in a minute.

For any water fixtures made from 2005 onwards, the easiest way to check if they meet the required efficiency standard is to look for products with a Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards scheme (WELS) rating of three stars or higher. A three star rating indicates a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute. WELS is Australia's water efficiency labelling scheme which rates fixtures including taps and showerheads according to water efficiency.

R.C. likes this.
  10. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Appreciate the replies and confirmation, especially the link to legislation.nsw.gov.au and Jacque`s info from Fair Trading.
    Passing_on_water_charges

Meanwhile I questioned the PM about the necessity of a certificate and the current legislation. Ironically in her reply was the same little chart copied from the Fair Trading page, 3 paragraphs above where it says "There is no requirement to provide a report from a plumber or the water supply authority certifying their existence."

Definitely appears to be more of a butt covering exercise, unless they are getting kickback from their preferred plumber!

11. dabbler

gee....really, does this even happen......

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Has anyone done the deed ie change taps etc to get an older property compliant from a water efficiency perspective? Was it expensive?

13. Scott No Mates

Relatively inexpensive depending upon what you need to do - change toilet suites (cheapest s-bend exposed trap WC is less than $200 each), mixers for kitchen/bathroom - about $50-75 each, bath spout - $50, shower head - $30-100. Plus labour.

Take a photo of the boxes and keep the brochures.

No requirements for external taps or laundry.
    upload_2018-7-23_14-2-26.png

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks. Am guessing when you add it all up (house in question is an old fibro but has 2 bathrooms), it's gonna come to a little more than $1000. That's not 'cheap'.

15. Scott No Mates

We have 3 WC, 2 showers etc. How are you otherwise getting reimbursed if the tenant keeps taps running 24/7?

Also shows that your rent may be cheaper than other places that don't have water efficiency measures in place but tenants only compare the asking rent $$

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2018
    Lacrim likes this.
  16. dabbler

Yes.

Read the rules yourself and make sure plumbers know the rules.

Cost is not high.

17. dabbler

What state ?

18. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

It`s quite inexpensive if you can DIY, depends on your skills and ability though. Teflon tape & silicone are cheap, plumbers are generally overpriced.

Taps / mixers and showerheads are cheap to buy. Would recommend paying slightly more to get ceramic valve taps or spindles. Besides being modern & easy, they are a no maintenance item and cost will be covered by the first call out for a plumber to replace worn tap washers otherwise.

Biggest expense will be replacing the toilet pan and this usually means fixing with mortar after removing old one & cleaning off the tiles. Modern WCs are designed to flush away a #2 with 6L of water, older ones 9L (2 gallons) or more. However from experience, simply fitting a 6/3L dual flush cistern is sufficiently adequate, especially in a rental property where tenants clean their own skid marks. Can save at least $100 per WC plus a lot more in labour there. It`s only the really old 3 gallon, 13L cistern & pans that actually do need replacing to do a half decent flush.

Some states may have different rules about passing on water charges, however in NSW and SA it is a requirement for water efficient devices if tenants are charged water. Over a relatively short time period, the water usage costs absorbed by the landlord would exceed the cost of compliant fittings. And if a tenant ever has a dispute and it ends up in the tribunal, well the cost of compensation / refund .... wouldn`t want to go there myself.

Lacrim likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

New WCs are generally fixed with silicone to the floor unless the fall is too great to allow this method of fixing

Old pans with larger volumes of water for flushing needed that to clear the bowl. Simply changing the cistern will not be compliant nor will it clear the bowl requiring a 2nd or third flush (ie not saving any water).

20. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

I genarally use polyurethane myself, does not let go easily at all and fills larger gaps with greater tensile strength.

Like I said, was no problem with an 80s 9L pan and ironically that property was "inspected" by a plumber who issued a certificate. Would take a very astute plumber or building inspector to pick that, let alone the average tenant. Sure an older 50s or 60s vintage pan would be different but even in my new toilet some things take a few flushes to go and still leave some brown marks that need the brush. If it is an older fibro house I personally would not go to the trouble or expense unless absolutely necessary.