Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Water efficiency compliance NSW tenancy.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by twobobsworth, 10th Sep, 2015.

1. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I have a PM requesting that a plumber attended the property to undertake water efficiency certification. Cost $99.

This is so that water usage can be passed onto the tenant.

The PM is requesting this to be done at that start of every new tenancy. It was done 12 months ago when the previous tenant moved in.

We also have to sign off on the following declaration:

¨ I/We give permission for your Agency to engage your preferred Licensed Plumbing Contractor to carry out the following plumbing works to my/our investment Property at my/our cost.

(a) All internal cold water taps and single mixer taps on the premises (other than bathtub taps and taps for appliances) must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,

(b) All showerheads on the premises must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,

(c) There must be no leaking taps on the premises at the commencement of the residential tenancy agreement.

¨ I/We will engage my/our own Plumbing Contractor to carry out plumbing works to my/our Property to ensure compliancy. I/We understand the works must be carried out by a Licensed Plumbing Contractor and release the Agent from any possible litigation if the Property does not comply with Legislation allowing cost of water usage charges to the Tenant.

I/We further understand it is my/our responsibility to provide proof of compliancy to your Agency to ensure costs of water usage charges may be passed onto Tenants in the future.

All other properties managed elsewhere were made compliant a few years ago when the new regulations came into place and plumbing repairs are addressed as needed.

Does anyone else have a similar request every new tenancy?

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Are the beginning of each management agreement we have the properties checked but never at the beginning of each tenancy

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

^ ^ as Chilli said, we've never been asked to check at the beginning of each tenancy.

I suppose the issue the REA is trying to cover for, is where you have a past tenant that removes the water restricting devices or replaces shower-heads etc (which we know some tenants do).

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does the agent suspect that the fixtures are non-compliant through use?

Compare photos of the tap ware at the time they were certified and current.

If they've changed then get a plumber.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No, not every tenant, the agent can easily check on inspection if taps are dripping.