Was it all worth it?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 22nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Feeling incredibly grateful. Beyond what any words could encapsulate to be honest.

Woke up this morning and looked around taking stock of my life (our lives really) and what we have, A comfortable home. Not in need of anything. Fridge full of food. Work that we are excited about to wake up to every day with a burning passion. Confident enough to be able to be myself. Am I eccentric? Sure. Who cares. I feel incredibly blessed to be where I am at 34 years old and the best, most unbelievable part of it all is I get to do it with the most amazing partner. Our journey over the years has seen us shed tears together, bled together, triumphed together, failed together and grew incredibly in love together.

If there is one thing we want to instil in our children (future children) later on, it is that they should always try to wake up each day with a great sense of gratitude for being born in Australia, responsibility to help others less fortunate and a passion for embracing each and every day to its fullest.

Hope yall still awake.. :)

Bayview, lowIQ, Westminster and 24 others like this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm feeling quite content too, just sipping sparkling water and p chatting in a shady Broome garden.

LifesGood, Colin Rice and Sackie like this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I am just going back over some old CD's and have recently started listening to Start With Why again. It seems that you have achieved so much and have that deep appreciation and feeling of success as you have been able to clearly define and hold on to your 'Why'. Love it Leo, you are an inspiration to many on here I am sure.

Sackie likes this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Love it. I've been doing it a little bit lately too - stage 1 of PPOR renos is complete and we haven't started stage 2 yet (other than some benches I've built in the garage).
    I love our yard, where we live and the beauty of the mountains.
    And every morning I get to wake up and walk into this gorgeous space (attached), cuddle my puppies and bring my wife breakfast, (who is pregnant with our first child),
    It's all pretty amazing and I'm so grateful for it.
    Not a bad effort for a 26yr old. ;)

Attached Files:

bob shovel, Gockie, TadhgMor and 4 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Mick Butterfield really looking forward to seeing how your JV development works out mate.

Colin Rice and Mick Butterfield like this.
  6. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Baby steps. But at this stage things are looking very positive.

Sackie and Colin Rice like this.
  7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Always striving for personal best, regardless of circumstances or conditions.
    Growth on growth is good for you.

Pamela Palmqvist and Colin Rice like this.
  8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Was taking stock of my achievments to date just yesterday. I suffer from an inner tension of "I have done well but so much more to achieve". Keep reminding myself to relax, enjoy the ride and be present in the moment.

I have a nice comfortable house to live in as well as the opportunity to provide the same for others, a great wife and 4 amazing children, a thriving business and money in the bank and a sweet ride to get me around as the cherry on top.

Life is good :)

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2016
    Mullo, lowIQ, GoJohnnyGo and 7 others like this.
  9. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

I remember that stage - I think it came just before the private school fees, the single income and the PPOR suburb upgrade.

Yeah that was a good stage - but it gets a whole lot better from here.

Enjoy the hike - the view is worth it.

10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Ouch! So much easier to achieve financial freedom if you can cut out one or two of those requirements, or just get bigger pockets.

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I didn't do a lot of this when I was on my journey to retirement/financial freedom - I was just too, too, too busy.

Now that I have reached that destination, I have time to make up for that 'failing' from my past.

Not only with money but, more importantly, with my time. I would now rather volunteer my time to help someone than get paid by someone to work for them.

Initially, I thought I was losing it. Now, after 5 years, I realise it is a beautiful place to be and will continue doing it.

MTR, Propagate, WattleIdo and 5 others like this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Especially if you still have health, great family and friends, that def a big plus. My only regret from my investing journey is the breakdown of a long term relationship. Still I think in life, you cannot choose to have everything, when there was no hard work and sacrifice.

lowIQ, ellejay, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi @Colin Rice, That's something we have also struggled with in the past.. to enjoy the moment... its sounds so easy doesn't it.. but when you're always thinking of the next step you sometimes forget to enjoy the view on the current step. Btw I have always found great insight from your posts mate. :)

Mullo, Colin Rice and kierank like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Before you know it baby steps will have turned into leaps and bounds mate .

15. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 I'd be a happy man too if I had those 4 or 5 'Christmas decorations' hanging off me like you do in your profile pic :confused::cool:o_O:rolleyes:.

Seriously tho, Ive said in another thread that sometimes we (I) have to stop and take stock at where we're at, and appreciate what we've got. We are certainly very blessed and when I look back on it all, there's not really much I'd do differently. Ive been in the fortunate position that I havent had to sacrifice a lot in order to invest as others have and although its only a wee little portfolio its getting me where I want to be. Im very grateful.

16. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I can relate to that.
    I often wonder whether it's a "gift" or a "curse". Keep reminding myself to relax. It is indeed not easy. I guess need to be done gradually.

Sackie and Allgood like this.
  17. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Nice work Leo. You appear to have scaled Maslow's Hierarchy at the ripe old age of 34. Good for you!

Plutus and Sackie like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I had to Google Maslow's Hierarchy to see what you were talking about lol. 34 but on some days feel like 64..

19. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I wake up everyday thinking and thanking.
    Thanking for everything i have and was able to build. But, in the same vein, I also think whether this is worth the stress I am taking to achieve financial freedom. Is financial freedom that important?
    Am I enjoying the present enough? Definitely not.
    I feel I have become too materialistic. I know I am trying to secure my kids future. my dad did that as well but without 'a lot of money' . We all turned out well.
    Not expecting any responses. Just opening up about what I think day and night.

ellejay, The Falcon, freyja and 2 others like this.
  20. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I think if you do that everyday, you are doing very well.
    My mind is normally so occupied up to the point of being overwhelmed then I start thinking and thanking.

WattleIdo and MTR like this.