NSW Warranty on purchases when going through handyman

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 27th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I was wondering how warranty on the unit works when I get a handyman to supply and install something for me. If the unit has lifetime warranty on it, can I ask for the original receipt?

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Depending on how they purchased, their invoice could suffice as Proof of Purchase (often the case with Electriicans), but I imagine the casual Handyman would probably have to offer you the original receipt.

giraffez likes this.
  3. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Thanks I can’t see how companies would accept handyman’s invoice as proof of purchase, I think they would give me a hard time of supplying the original. I hope the handyman would have no qualms in giving me the original receipt

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Why not get the " handyman " to replace the item under his warranty.
    I assume you paid him for the materials and labour ?

Last edited: 27th Apr, 2021
    giraffez likes this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Handyman is unlikely to be around forever, so I would definitely be asking for the original receipt as proof of purchase if its something you might need to claim on down the track.

Then take a pic of the receipt and file it/email it to yourself so it doesn't fade.

giraffez and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends what the article is. If is an AC it may void warranty unless the installer posses electrical / refrigeration license. If its a plug and play item (eg garage door opener) then the warranty card often incldues installer details. Have them complete this or request their original purchase invoice (copy). Some companies accept installers sign off and others dont.

Most PC item providers accept a builder supply but will want further details eg S/Number, proof of new home etc. I had that with a gas HWS suppied by Claredon Homes. Once they noted the s/Number and manufacture date was within 10 yaers they just replaced it.

What has a life time warranty ? Even bricks are only up to 100 years ;)

Tom Rivera and giraffez like this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Manufacturers are always changing the design and engineering function of items, so it is often easy to "date" an item.
    If an item has a serial number then you should only need to quote that to claim

giraffez likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Noirot heaters have a lifetime warranty.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Whose lifetime ;)

qak likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve had one replaced - no questions asked.

11. 43915

43915 New Member

I think you're mixing the warranty issue on the unit itself compared to the warranty the handyman provides. Warranty issues regarding internal structure of the apartment is done through Strata.

I can't speak for any other handypersons, but if the customer would like me to supply and install, I only provide the warranty on the work I do, and not the material or the screws of the fixtures that could potentially fail at the point and provide a written warranty with the work I do.

No tradespersons can give any warranty on the material that they provide, as they do not manufacture it, and only install on your behalf.

It sounds like your having problems with getting the right handyperson to do the job to a high standard. Always seek a licensed professional to do the job.

And yes, they are always going to be more expensive. The reason for this is because their reputation precedes the work they do. They're only interested in achieving the best outcome for their clients and so they focus on researching the materials and the work they need to do, so you don't deal with a problematic handyperson.

One of the ways to ensure you always get poor quality work is to always take the cheapest quote or cheapest handyperson to do the work.

I always find this amusing, how you would never get the cheapest dentist to do any work on your teeth yet people are trying to find the cheapest way to do their own work in their own home that they live in and find out the hard way on why the work is no good.

One of my main streams of income through my business is having to redo the work that has been done by previous handypersons.

To answer your question, can you ask for the receipt? Not unless this was discussed before you accepted the job. I don't provide the original receipt when supplying materials from other suppliers and that's because this information is proprietary and irrelevant.

You are paying a professional to do the job properly the first time, so you can move onto the next job, so it wouldn't matter whether you obtained a receipt as the work will be done properly the first time with a written warranty in the event the work fails.

There is a difference in hiring a license professionals to do the work. They always provides a quote in writing, and nothing is done verbally and charge you to provide a quote so they can spend the time properly researching, what the best solution is.

Any trades person can go and buy expensive or cheap materials? It's the knowledge on what goes where and with what works best! Some are better than other at it!