Wall removal timeline

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by vanstrizz, 21st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vanstrizz

vanstrizz Member

Hello everyone!

My partner and I have managed to grab a little two bedroom unit in Preston that we are very exited about (didn't think it would happen with how the market has been!)

We had to compromise on layout but decided before making an offer that we would renovate to remove a wall between the kitchen and living area. I wanted to ask you knowledgeable folk how long you think this whole process will take, including permits etc?

It is an old brick villa style unit (ground floor, shared wall on either side, small complex of 8 units)
    Our building inspector said that we would be able to remove the wall but would have to install a beam as it is at least partially load bearing.

Settlement is on the 31st of May. Until then, we can't apply to the council for building plans as the application needs to be signed by the current owner. We tried to get the current owner to sign it but they never responded so we have opted just to wait until settlement.

There is also a tenant living there currently. They will likely move out within the first month of us taking ownership (their lease is until August but they are happy to end early by mutual agreement). Our preference is to get the wall removed and re-do the floors in the kitchen and living area before we move in, but will obviously have to wait until the tenant moves out.

So basically, from the date of settlement I will:
    -Send the request for building plans to the council.
    -Once I receive the plans I will contact a structural engineer who will draw up a plan (?)
    -Then I will have to get a building permit from the council (I think?) and permission from the body corporate to undertake the renovation.
    - After that, I will engage with a builder to remove the wall and install the beam. (It's a small wall approx 2.5 x 2.4 meters). It is rendered brick so a bit of a messy job.
    - Then I need to get someone to pull up the old floor (carpet and a small section of engineered timber) and lay new flooring. It's only a small area of flooring, about 30m2.

So with all of that, how long do you think it will take, start to finish?

I've added photos of the floor plan and a photo showing the wall that we want to remove.

Eventually we will reconfigure the kitchen a bit but we are happy to do that later on after we are living there. Can get a temporary island bench for now :)

floorplan1.jpg image5.jpg

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Any qualified builder could do this, it's what they do, installing a header or hanging beam (if there's enough roof space is easy), engineering not really req'd.

Get details of the strata manager and find out the BC requirements for this, some may require a AGM/EGM vote, others may have bylaws allowing for small renovations and alterations.

Why would you go to council ? They will just tick a box and take $1200 :confused:

Lizzie likes this.
  3. vanstrizz

vanstrizz Member

My understanding is that if you are doing anything structural you need a building permit from the council and that they will require a structural engineer to sign off of on the changes? Apparently if you don't do this it can cause problems down the track with insurance or when you go to sell. I may be misguided though! Happy to hear what others think.

Great advice about the BC! I will do that.

Joynz likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Follow the correct council requirements - especially if they have plans.

Best to pay a bit more now to be sure that it won’t come back to bite you.

5. vanstrizz

vanstrizz Member

Yeah, this is what we were thinking.

Have you done any projects like this? Any idea of how long things will take?