Health & Family Walking time stickers

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 14th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Send them to the gulag.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Despite being insensitive and unhelpful, it is hard to argue with this. Generally, people are overweight though overeating. There are some uncommon medial conditions that cause weight gain, but by far the majority simply eat too much. As a formerly obese person, I can confirm that no one forced me to eat excessive amounts of garbage masquerading as food. It really is garbage too. I ended up getting so sick that I had no choice but to change to eat more nutritious food.

The only problem is that if it is in a supermarket, it is processed. I think this is what a lot of people don't understand. There are levels of processing and eating the differently processed foods will have different effects. So, fruit, vegetables, whole grains and some meat would be minimally processed and the healthiest foods in the supermarket. I can't be bothered thinking about what might be moderately processed but use your imagination. Maybe a nice full fat yoghurt, wholemeal flour or full fat cheese? Either way, these foods should be consumed in smaller quantities than minimally processed foods. Then there are the ultra-processed, ultra-palatable crimes against humanity that should be eaten only sparingly. Think potato crisps, ice cream, cakes, biscuits etc. I really think these are the most harmful foods and the ones people should be warned off eating everyday.

Maybe a much simpler system. Green sticker for all the minimally processed food. Orange for moderately processed and a big red sticker for all the ultra-processed foods. Then let the debate begin about which food fall into each category.

Popcorn time :)

Bayview likes this.
  3. Perthguy

If you can commit to brisk walking for an hour a day, you can actually burn off a decent amount of fat.
    Alasdair Wilkins lost 45kg just by walking
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fi...-just-by-walking/story-fnlsuulf-1227434091460
    but this has to be in conjunction with a calorie controlled (through calorie counting or portion control) diet.

Alasdair wrote that he didn’t adjust his diet — just ate smaller portions.

Someone walking for an hour a day still won't lose weight if they don't control what goes into their mouth.

Bayview likes this.
  4. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Stick to the perimeter and out of the aisles. There is plenty of non-processed, delicious food at the supermarket.

Bayview likes this.
  5. Mombius Hibachi

[​IMG]

I don't believe for a second that he didn't change his diet, but merely reduced the portions. Unless he implemented something like Intermittent Fasting or something like that as well. But eating smaller portions of the same food? I just can't get the rational portion of my brain to go along with that.

6. Perthguy

A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. Calories in vs calories out. I certainly don't have any evidence to call him out as being a liar.

7. Mombius Hibachi

Yeah, I get that bit. It's just... 45kgs is a lot of weight to lose just from walking and reduced portions, know what I mean?

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It will burn more kilojoules than sitting watching TV. Not as many as a brisk walk for the same distance, but it's a start.

wylie and Bayview like this.
  9. Perthguy

Not really. I have done 20kg in 6 months on walking and reduced portions, so 45kg in a year is feasible. He's only 27. Weight comes off easier at that age. That's about the age I was when I did the 20. To give you some idea, I was eating pizza hut 3 or 4 days a week. That was back in the days when there was a student discount all you can eat lunch for $5 or $7 or something ridiculous. I used to eat a big salad and a couple of slices of pizza. Good lunch for a student. I didn't have car and had to walk and hour in the morning and an hour in the evening to get to the train to go to uni. Lots of walking and small meals = a lot of weight loss. It's not rocket science! ;)

Bayview likes this.
  10. geoffw

I spent three months in another place. I was 15 minutes away from work. The weather was almost always good for walking, I walked 30-60 minutes every day, even weekends. I was 5kg lighter when i finished. I was still eating good portions, always eating out.

Bayview likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

New research into 'brown adipose fat' suggests that exposure to cool temperatures (like 18 or 19 degrees) is enough to activate it and burn 4kg in a year. Doesn't sound like much, but its enough to counter the fat creep that happens with age.

For countries with a proper winter, they just need to heat venues less. A public service.

I don't buy into obesity being as simple as choice.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2015
    Bayview likes this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Walk the entire length of a football field to burn off a single plain M&M chocolate, eat one potato chip and you need to walk the length of 3 football fields in order to burn that one chip off!

Article here also

13. Mombius Hibachi

[​IMG]

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I have seen evidence of this regime working.

Walking (at a very fast pace) is very good for burning up joules, and of course; the correct food going into your mouth is the other thing.

Try walking as fast as you can (like a power walker) for 30 mins - no slowing down; bordering on a jog - and see how you feel at the end Based on your pic. It's quite amazing.

As most folks would know; I used to be a Golf Pro. During 40 odd years involved in golf, I have played god knows how many thousands of rounds myself.

A normal round of golf with 3 mates, wandering around at normal or below walking pace does burn up a few joules; but it's not that significant.

However; one of my favourite things to do is get out at dawn by myself and play 9 holes....I end up walking at a pretty fast pace because there is noone around to slow me down, so you end up walking quite briskly.

By the end of it (approx 1.25 hours) I am puffing like steam train, and I am reasonably fit already.

Then go home and have about 4 pancakes with maple syrup, cream and incing sugar, right? :D

(Juuuust kidding)

15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Absolutely Geoff.

The observation I make is that folks who are already a bit on the big side assume the slow dog walk will be enough.

16. geoffw

I mist admit that I still misread the thread title.

What are time stickers, and why are they walking?

17. Mombius Hibachi

I do this, but go for an hour and a half. I pass people like they're standing still. Couple of stops along the way to say hello to doggies.

One of the perks of living in St Kilda - usually lots of babes to have a peek at as well. ;)

18. Redwing

You burn the majority of your calories while at rest anyhow ;)

19. geoffw

20. Redwing