WA WA state COVID-19 residential tenancies legislation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by richerdad, 15th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Okay I just finished attendance at a briefing from DMIRS on the new legislation. Apparently its been assented and likely to come in force tomorrow.

Weirdly and annoyingly, there's no 'as amended' version that incorporates the changes from the Legislative Council.

But its going to be a doozy. I don't really know where to start to describe it. Big issues will come out of the protections for boarders/lodgers, and also mandatory conciliation for disputes under the new provisions.

charttv, Rex and thydzik like this.
  2. thatbum

Lots of potential issues but interestingly lessors can potentially terminate a tenant during the emergency period, and even if they are in covid related financial hardship.

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Apr, 2020
  3. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

4. thatbum

Landlords have always been allowed to despite some of the speculation around the traps. Nothing's changed on that front.

5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Given the hassle of moving (both physical and admin) - can't ask a group of mates to come and help - I would anyone be rushing to move unless they are or expect to be in financial straits? And if they're headed that way you'd be better off seeing them go voluntarily than going without all or some of the rent for six months then having a messy xCAT hearing.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

All seems fairly reasonable and equitable from the little detail in that media release.

7. thydzik

Michael Mitchell and ALT like this.
  8. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

So seems they pay up to $2k to the landlord that is great. A few things seem unclear though.

The financial hardship do you have to fit all 4? For example a tenant who is on a temporary protection visa and not eligable for centrelink? Who also still has some work but hours are cut right back? In this case rent would be far more that 25% on income.

I also note it says u get 4 weeks of whatever the rent is reduced by however do you have to reduce the rent for the next six months or just the 4 weeks the govt pays for the difference?

cheers

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/residential-rent-relief-grant-scheme

Eligibility criteria:
    • You are resident in WA
    • You have, or shortly will have, lodged a tenancy bond with the Bond Administrator
    • You are a permanent resident, Australian citizen, have a temporary or permanent protection visa or bridging visa
    • You live in a private residential property, rooming house or residential park
    • You are in ‘financial hardship’, meaning you:
      • Lost your job on or after 20 March 2020
      • Have applied for Centrelink income support
      • Have less than $10k of household savings
      • Are currently paying rent of at least 25 per cent of the total household income after tax
    • You have agreed to a reduction in rent with your landlord, or have engaged in the Residential Tenancy Mandatory Conciliation service through Consumer Protection.

9. richerdad

richerdad Member

I had a look at this WA relief package for residential landlords/tenants and it looks like a token effort by the State Government and no surprises, it places most of the financial burden on Landlords. The example provided would not incentivize any landlord to drop their rent. So tenant is paying $400 per week rent you agree to reduce it to $200 per week they times this by 4 so this provides a grant of $800 payable to Landlord. But say you have 6 months left on the lease (can't evict for 6 months) the Landlord has to forgo $4,800 in rent to receive $800 who would agree to that? Unless I'm misunderstanding it?
    https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/residential-rent-relief-grant-scheme

10. thydzik

Thanks for the link.

I agree, whilst I initially thought it was a good thing for landlords, it doesn't seem this way.
    To apply you need to have reduced the rent, NOT have a reasonable repayment plan in place.
    There is no guarantee you will get the rent relief even if you reduce the rent, as there is a lot more eligibility requirements.
    Once you do reduce the rent, its going to be hard to increase it again, even after the emergency period is over.

It is good for landlords who have already reduced the rent to get some back, but I wouldn't be reducing rent to try and get the relief, even if already on a repayment plan.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2020
    ALT and thatbum like this.
  11. thydzik

Actually, re-reading it further it does look like a rental debt is eligible.

That makes the grant a lot more favourable.

12. thydzik

The Bill is now an Act
    Western Australian Legislation - Residential Tenancies (COVID-19 Response) Act 2020

some differences, not 100% sure of my interpretation
    s14 (4)-(7)
    cannot make a submission to the commissioner if cannot agree on a rent repayment agreement.
    Removed the bit a about a rent default notice after 3 months after the emergency period, which was worrying to me.

s19 looks more in favour of landlord,
    consequences on the tenant if they don't enter into a rent repayment agreement or fail to meet the rent repayment agreement.
    also looks like you can't not pay rent due to non covid19 reasons.

Division 3 — Mandatory conciliation, removed

Last edited: 27th Apr, 2020
  13. thydzik

Jamie from Empire Estate Agents was nice to share the two REIWA templates for Deferrals and Waivers

Attached Files:

Big Daddy likes this.
  14. Ity

Ity Member

It actually says this:
    ”The grant is paid to the landlord and will be equivalent to four-weeks rent up to a maximum of $2000, whichever is the lesser.”
    So it looks like it’s not the amount it’s reduced by, but rather, it’s based on 4 weeks worth of rent.

That aside, I’m still confused by the whole scheme. If anyone here understands it well, please share! :)

15. thydzik

From what I interpret, you don't even need to reduce rent, but can defer it as well.

and the rental relief will cover the deferred amount up to max 4 weeks rent or $2,000.

So if you defer 50% of the rent, it will cover you to an equivalent of 8 weeks.

16. thydzik

Hard to believe its 6 months later.

What are peoples thoughts, will the emergency period be extended?
    (currently ends 29 September 2020)

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I hope not, logic says it should not be extended???

18. thatbum

I've heard through my government contacts that it will be in some form. Likely to be watered down though.

thydzik and charttv like this.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

As long as the blanket ban on rent increases and automatic lease renewal is done away with (hopefully in favour of measures specific only to those in financial hardship) then I think that will be a sensible outcome.

20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...on-evictions-extended-for-six-months/12648918

Western Australia's emergency residential rent laws have been extended for another six months, barring rent increases and evictions amid the ongoing economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The McGowan Government's moratorium was due to come to an end this month, but has been extended to March 28 next year to help "preserve stability and certainty in the rental market".

The measure is aimed at stopping renters in private and public housing, as well as tenants in residential long-stay parks and boarders and lodgers, from being dumped into the rental market.

"For residential tenancies, low vacancy rates for residential rental properties have and will continue to place upward pressure on rents," WA's Attorney-General John Quigley said.

Unnecessary protection, REIWA says
    Real Estate Institute of WA (REIWA) president Damian Collins said he was incredibly frustrated by the decision, saying the Government needed to be "taught an economic lesson".

"The worst thing you can do when you have a shortage of rental stock is to dissuade investors from coming back in the market," he said.

He said REIWA estimated only two per cent of tenants were still impacted by COVID-19.

...​