vj walls curtains or blinds?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Elives, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi all,

wanted to get peoples opinions on which to go for as i'm doing renovations on my ppor and need to choose certain or blinds. i've always had blinds but they are so annoying to clean. where as the curtains i would think you could just wash them in the washing machine quick and easy.

upload_2017-3-11_21-51-32.png

also which colour would you go?

Cheers, Elives

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Not all curtains are washable, others can be dry cleaned. You'd usually want a lace for daylight & a solid at night for privacy, = 2 x tracks etc.

Curtains have their advantages, including easier to open/close windows, however for whatever reason just last week I again went for 50mm timber blinds, nothing else, for my new poor.

50mm are easier to clean, larger slat, less of them, like all of them easy to un-clip, hang on the clothes line & hose.

Got them at spotlight, 40% off sale, used my drop saw to cut them narrower to fit them in window recess, however they could have also been fitted as is outside the recess.

Personally I like the look of them, but wish it was easier to open/close windows

Elives likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are the curtains / blinds for privacy or keeping the heat out?

4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

privacy,it may become rental as well

5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i spent like 4 hours using gurnie to clean blinds from old house and as i laid them down in garage to dry when i hanged them they still had bits of dirt on them. but at same stage they do look nice and would be worried if i got curtains thy may look tacky

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We used to put timber venetians in but cleaning them is PITA and they make the rooms so dark. Painted white venetians allow more light in but look even dirtier unless cleaned regularly.

We use eyelet curtains where we need privacy.

Elives likes this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Maybe that's the problem, I'd leave them hanging on the line until dry.

After all that & still dirty? Gotta range hood over the stove catching oil fumes? Although I guess insect/hair sprays etc could have the same effect.

Mine have been up in previous ppor for 6yrs, doing final clean now & there's bugga all on them, light brush with a small hand broom.

Slats can get broken on blinds, cats & kids can climb rip curtains.
    In the end it's a personal choice.

Elives likes this.
  8. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

Maybe even roller blinds if your thinking rental. Tenants can do least amount of damage. Check out spotlight for their sales. I did my whole house with roller blinds when spotlight had 50% off.