Visual Evidence of Depreciation Benefits

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 1st Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

No necessarily the last 29 properties i have purchased was for the land only someone else owns the building
    Even the Sydney GPO building is owned by someone different from the land owner

Sonamic likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I call my wife an asset. Unfortunately, the ATO won't let me depreciate her but they let me claim her as an expense :) :).

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

She lets you invest , helps you make money ..sounds like a great asset to me!

House and kierank like this.
  4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Paul@PAS and Terry_w like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thats a fair observation when explained that way. One of the benefits of a QS deduction is that despite the deduction that hard asset can actually increase in value. Perhaps not in a linear manner along with its associated land. (A 40 year old building isnt always valueless as the system describes. That leaves a taxable CGT issue.

This is probably one of the arguments as to why a CGT tax was introduced. Sometimes by isolating the tax on rental income etc from CGT it can make iIP owners look like ********s. Thats what some in media portray. The reality is property investors have a hell of a contingent CGT tax debt just waiting for a sale to occur. Media ignores that part.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

So lets use an example of a printing business. An income producing printing press is bad and the land you put it on (producing no rental income ?) is good.

Makes no sense at all. Land does not always appreciate. Useful land appreciates. Try buying farmland and the Council wont give a DA to allow a development.

7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I only buy land in towns or cities
    I only buy land that has a existing building on it
    I only invest in land where the tenant has invested from several hundred thousand dollars to millions of dollars in the building

At the moment my opinion is it is still better to buy land (most in capital cities ...and even in the cbd ) than buying the land with a building that depreciates.

The building has a finite life but what usually happens is the "best and highest use of the land" changes.

So to utilise the land to the best value the building is removed/demolished (even though there is still physical life left in the building

This is best demonstrated by looking at old historic photos in city central district. at spacings of say every 50yrs ...you can see the city change

The land seldom changes but the buildings do

Gockie likes this.
  8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I agree "many" property investors have a contingent CGT tax debt but many do not ...with thoughtful planning.