Victorian Terrace - Thoughts on various window options?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by alps, 21st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Tempted to replace existing timber window frames with aluminium ... I just think that aluminium seem to work and look better. Thoughts?

Also, wondering if I should remove steel bars in front of them and replace glass with 10.38mm laminated glass. May not be as good a deterrent as the bars but should provide a certain level of security. Again, thoughts please?

Any my most controversial idea window idea ... given that we never open the windows on the front ground floor which practically fronts onto the street, fixed panels seem to make a lot more sense than openable windows. Thought?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What's there now - in terms of window style? Also, some photos of the house would help people to give feedback.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you go with the thicker glass then you might not be able to go with standard ali window frames. If you go Aluminium then get one with thick frames so it's more of a match to the existing wood ones.

I would still do windows rather than fixed glass as ventilation is essential even if you don't use it much.

4. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Currently wooden windows that don't even close properly. Either way, they need to be replaced :)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're required to have 5% of the floor space as ventillation & 10% for daylight. So fixed windows won't work unless you're providing fresh air from another source (air cond with fresh air intake).

Why are there bars? Is the area as rough as it was when the bars were installed?

Do they just require maintenance? Ie new sash cords and adjust weights or are the sills and sashes worn/rotten?

6. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Wood has expanded/rotted and I think would benefit with new replacement.
    House is actually quite well ventilated.
    Re bars, its just standard for inner city terraces as windows are only set back 1mt from busy street.
    Gotta say, I've found them very effective as a deterrent, its just that they are so unattractive :(

7. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Aluminum may cheapen the look of the house. Especially if all surrounding houses have timber. Bars are hard to make look good its true

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd replace with new, efficient timber windows that open. I'd then put shutters that double as security (to Australian Standard). They look classic.

9. alps

alps Well-Known Member

hi wylie,
    are these internal or external shutters? any pics please?

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This house was fully security grilled when we bought it, and looked like a jail. We removed them all eventually and changed to metal key locked shutters. We haven't added curtains, but this was taken with hardly any decoration added (prints etc). We never shut the windows really.

We love having our bed pushed into the box bay window. We just reach up to adjust for more or less air.

Attached Files: