Victorian PM - AGM and proxy

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Burramys, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

How big is the OC? How many lots?

2. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

There are 26 lots. As far as I'm aware there are 24 owners, with one person owning three units.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why you would give the PM your proxy if you had issues with how the OC was being run.

Why wouldn't you give your proxy to an owner who has the same position as you, or even just a friend to represent you?

qak likes this.
  4. Burramys

The proxy would go to an owner, first backup backup another owner (two people that regularly attend) and as a backup to that the OC manager. My question remains - is it legal to have multipe proxies as I describe in case on or more does notn attend?

5. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

As a property manager, we attend OC meetings on an owners behalf, they sign a proxy form and we take it with us - does your OC have rules detailing that you have to have your proxy form back prior to the meeting? If not, I'd sign 3 separate proxies, give them to each one of your potential proxies, then email through the OC on the day once you know which one is attending. Unless the company is the same for the OC as it is for the property management company, then there should be no conflict of interest. Your property manager represents you and should go as your proxy if it is within their level of service. What suburb is this in?

6. Burramys

As far as I'm aware there is no rule about proxies being provided to the OC manager before the meeting. However, this makes sense if there are questions, as the OC manager may be able to find answers for some or all questions. I will not know for sure which one of two or three proxies is attending until after the meeting. The OC manager wants to hide a lot of things that I have identified, and will do anything to conceal this. One item from about five years ago that has had a concealed loss of about $10,000 continues to be hidden. The OC Manager just ignores requests for information, prevaricates, and in time the details fade.

For example, I suggested that notices of meetings and minutes be sent by email. The OC Manager did not like this and dismissed this, said it was their call, not mine. I'm paying for copying postage and handling. I said I wanted information by email so this year it was sent ... by post. We had new gates and the fools writing the spec did not cite self-closing gates. There was an insurance claim and the OC Manager did not claim everything, said it was my fault. As soon as the damage was done I asked them to contact me but there was no reply.

A minor building job was done, should have taken a day, took nearly two weeks. I asked about a time clause in the contract, starts on about (date) and takes one day to do the job. No reply. We have two serious potential hazards, one of which could literally blow the place up (a gas leak), and the OC manager did nothing, prevaricated, referred me to the gas company that said to ask the OC. Our insurance may not cover stupidity.

There's rather a lot of mainly trivial items like this that collectively add up to a lot, and owners are losing.

The OC Manager is in Melbourne.

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

More to the point your insurance is unlikely that to cover criminal negligence. Lawyer up. May be able to get local council or other authority involved to apply pressure. Workplace safe maybe?

8. Burramys

I've been to about five government entities, about four gas-related entities and the OC manager. All either do nothing, say it is the job of someone else, or take weeks to reply. I sent an email on 5 February. Today I received a letter in reply. I emailed them within an hour of getting the letter. Once owners know the facts they will act, but making the facts knows has a big block - the OC Manager. I can manage this at VCAT, and a lawyer is not needed - yet.

9. hobartchic

Ugh. I had it with a government entity today so I do understand. Surely there is one gas company the account is with? Sounds like you have to go to VCAT and working hard to fix.

10. Burramys

Privatisation has meant split responsibilities, too many companies making and supplying the products to one address. A recent email was on the lines of "Help! I do not know who is responsible, and I cannot find out." There was no reply to this. It does not assist that nobody will do anything of substance, and instead often say to seek advice elsewhere. This is a pervasive comment.

In December I was the victim of crimes by staff at a large public place. I complained, no reply. The crimes were committed in front of security cameras, and I suspect that now the tapes are gone. The threat of very adverse publicity about theft, entrapment, conspiracy, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, multiple breaches of Australian Consumer Law and a few more are on the statement of claim, which is getting rather long. This sort of treatment was noted in a highly critical report some time ago; nothing has changed.

I will get these people, just as I will get the OC Manager and the gas issue, but it's taking a lot of time and effort, due in no small part by poorly drafted legislation, regulations, enforcement and low if any penalties.

Fortunately I have a legal background and am happy when I'm unhappy.

11. hobartchic

Oh yes. I have enough legal understanding to get attention when I want. I am always civil when I am unhappy. I nearly added a Furthermore to an email today. My mum said I had the tone without needing to add it. Keep going!