Victoria granny flat legislation- any changes to look forward to?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by aussie1, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aussie1

aussie1 Active Member

I have read there has been some proposed changes to Victoria's Granny flat legislation? Any updates on this?

Legislation in Victoria has restrictions on who lives in granny flats, commonly called (DPU) Dependant Person Units, and who are renting them out.

At the moment as I am aware its only available to family members. I have an I.P in Deer Park with a shared drive way that leads to a 2 bedroom, kitchen and large bathroom granny flat. It currently would need a renovation to be liveable but Id love to try increase value through the granny flat in the future

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    They have been talking about adopting something similar to the NSW AHSEPP for several years . So far it’s gone nowhere ... Melbourne isn’t landlocked like Sydney and doesn’t suffer congestion as extreme as Sydney . Maybe that’s why they haven’t introduced changes to granny flat legislation yet . The urgency isn’t there . I’m sure it will happen eventually.

But right now dual occ is a complete non event in Vic .

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I thought the restriction was on building new granny flats. If it’s already there, and was built before the current restrictions on DPUs,
    I wonder if the requirements apply?

4. euro73

It doesnt really matter... for the purposes of this discussion its about whether its possible to add granny flats now. Its not, which is a great shame. Come on Vic...catch up :)

5. Sylvia Papp

Sylvia Papp Member

I have a granny flat in Melbourne and I find it very hard to pay for the investment loan....I didn't know about the restrictions re renting out when I bought it a few years ago.Is there any way to rent it out legally or I am not sure what I can do in a situation like that?Any tips?

6. Sylvia Papp

Sylvia Papp Member

7. Sylvia Papp

Sylvia Papp Member

I have the same problem....I bought a granny flat a few years ago and I find it very hard to pay for the investment loan...I didn't know about the renting restrictions until now....Any tips? Any updates on this?

8. euro73

Over Christmas I wrote to about a dozen councils in Vic, asking them whether it was possible to do granny flats. Each responded that only Dependent Person Units are allowed. Appears nothing has changed at all... sadly , while the VIC Govt discussed adopting a NSW style AHSEPP which would allow for 60m2 granny flats as complying developments... hasn't happened yet.

Melbourne's layout is far more spacious than Sydney's. Wider roads. wider footpaths. Approaches from many sides. Very few choke points. Not split by water. Lots of flat land within 50-60KM still available for development. Perhaps the density issues just aren't as pressing...

9. Landcookie

Landcookie New Member

Bumping this.

Looking at buying an existing property with a granny flat already built. Had a chat to the local council who advised that it can essentially be treated as one big house, IE single dwelling.

The question is, if I decide to sublet a room or 2 in my house, it would be far from considered as dual occupancy (would it?) In this instance, why would a granny flat differ?

10. Plonker

Plonker Member

Technically speaking, Granny flat in VIC is purely built for a 'granny' or a family member to live and needs to be demolished if not used by a family.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s the case now, but if you have a place with a granny flat built before the current regs (e.g. 30 years ago etc) then the need to remove won’t usually apply.

Though there may be renting restrictions.

12. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Bump.

What if you lived in the granny flat and did a house share in the main house?

There is also something called a sleepout, with no kitchen but a bathroom attached, is that allowed if you wanted to use it as an office space? Would it need planning permission?

Cousinit likes this.
  13. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Also likely to be quite a bit cheaper and less hassle than building on an extension potentially.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.