Vic: No bodycorporate dilemma

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Do Androids Dream, 29th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Do Androids Dream

Do Androids Dream Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I bought a townhouse as my first IP 2 years ago with no body corporate and with 3 other townhouses on the block. We only share a driveway and pay public liability insurance every year, which has kindly been organised by one of the owners who owns 2 of the townhouses. I've reimbursed him for my quarter of insurance the last 2 years. We had some damage to the shared fence which he also followed up with the neighbour. We have a small strip of grass that runs along the drive way and a nature strip.

The said owner feels like it's unfair that it's all left to him, uncompensated.

We have discussed: 1) one owner taking turns to manage insurance, maintenance and act as a contact (maintenance is tricky as I'm interstate), 2) said owner receiving payment ($300) per year to do this or 3) establishing a strata.

I'll call the Victoria Strata Association tomorrow for advice, but is there anything else you would suggest?

Are there consequences I need to be aware of in relation to 1, 2 and 3?

Thank you

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

There is always a body corporate (now known as an owners corporation) when there are multiple townhouses with a shared driveway: it's created when the plan of subdivision is registered and the separate titles are issued. Yes, as Y-man stated, the plan of subdivision number is your OC number.

Whether you have a professional manager is up to you. You have obligations under the Owners Corporation Act regarding insurance, meetings and other things. Consumer Affairs Victoria is a great place to read up on what's involved.

4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I would recommend employing a professional manager and commencing levies.

Yes, it will incur a quarterly cost but over the years things change, owners change and if there is damage to a particular part of the complex and there is a dispute over who pays, it will get messy very quickly.

The levy is usually made up of admin (to pay the manager) and sinking fund to build up a war chest for maintenance and other expenses. Although the relationships are good now, you never know who your next co-owners will be and inserting a professional layer and having dedicated funds in trust for common property maintenance will go a long way in saving time, stress and money in the long run. It's a level of protection.

5. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, in similar sort of situation with only two lots being on the block (one being mine). Reading at Consumer affairs website Two-lot subdivisions - Consumer Affairs Victoria it appears two-lots subdivisions are exempt from most of standard owners corp duties...

We share driveway with our neighbour and us being at the back of the block. We've just noticed one of the pit (collecting all water from driveway) which is located very close to our unit is blocked and may require concrete to be pulled up to be repaired. Due to this water is deposited around our house which is not good for its foundations. council has confirmed this is not their responsibility. Neighbours are good people but I am not sure how to approach them as I afraid they may come and say pit is close to your unit and causing you a damage so its your problem....am i in right here to ask them to foot the equal share of bill..in case they refuse what options do i have....

Colin Rice likes this.
  6. The Y-man

How new is the unit? Is the builder still in operation or were they a "one build wonder"?

The Y-man

7. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

built in 1990's...no idea about builder. does that affect the composition for 2 units?

8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Good advise. I have been the "secretary/book keeper/caretacker" for an OC in a 16 unit complex that was self managed with no issues. I take no credit though :D

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Give em a case of beer and a bottle of plonk at Christmas then.

10. The Y-man

Nah - was hoping you could get the builder to fix as a fault.
    Not much choice then - approach the neighbour nicely is the only way.....I think if they say no, you'll have to foot it.

The Y-man

S0805 likes this.