VIC: knockdown 1 house/1 title to build 2 homes/1 title inter-gen homes

Discussion in 'Development' started by MatVic, 11th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MatVic

MatVic New Member

Hey folks,

First post here — really appreciate that this resource exists.

I am looking at buying a single house on 600m2+ for redevelopment. The plan is to knock down the existing house and build 2 homes so that my young family can live in 1 home and my in-laws + elderly dependent can live in the other.

We have plans for what we want to build but don't want to go through the lengthy process and cost of waiting on a sub-division approval, as we simply don't need or want it. Our draft plans would easily allow for a sub-division in future – mirror image builds along an equal side-by-side division.

Am I right in thinking that this should be a faster route to getting the property redeveloped and avoiding the costs of sub-division at this point in time? Your help, experience and advice is appreciated.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Technically you are building a duplex.
    Check zoning allows this.

MatVic likes this.
  3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Yes and no
    A few things to consider
    If looking to the future make sure that you have sufficient car parking/garaging for both (future) houses, as well as open space provision/requirements.
    Add to that consider construction method now and duplication of services for an easy split at a alter time.
    You don't need to subdivide, but if looking at independent living will require a planning permit for more than once house on the lot
    If your plans look like two houses you may have issues obtaining a building permit. A building permit/approval can only be issued if either no planning permit is required, or a planningg permit has been issued. A building surveyor isn't going to risk their licence approving something that might be "dodgy".
    It's going to depend a little on your approach
    Get some good, I mean good solid advice before doing anything

craigc and The Y-man like this.