Vic - can this be classified a 4th bedroom?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jelicich, 13th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

Hi all,

I have a 3 bedroom IP in Sunshine, Melbourne which was built over 45 years ago. I bought it 10 years ago. At some point in the properties history (thinking 20 to 30 years ago) an addition was made to the side of the house and an addtional structure was built which has a toilet, shower, washing machine taps and room enough for bed and storage. It's has an external entrance and it is not really feasible to knock a wall through to make it part of the existing house...

I have a few questions :)

As the structure was built so long ago do I need council permission to modernise it and then classify it the property as 4 x bedrooms?

Due to it only being accessible externally can I legally call it a 4 bedroom house?

I would like to spend a few dollars on it, have the property re-classified as 4 bedrooms and achieve addtional capital as well as increased rent.

Love to get some advice on what is achievable in this situation!

Thanks.

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Why is it not feasible to knock a wall down to get access from inside the house?
    Have you explored the option and obtained a quote? It might be easier/cheaper than you think.
    This is what i would do, and I reckon would be a heap better, unless you intended on using that space as a granny flat or similar.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I definitely think you can call it 4 bedrooms even without knocking a doorway through the wall.

Or, even better, advertise it as a self contained studio and attract parents with teenagers or elderly relatives.

4. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

Thanks @mikey7 the house is on stumps and the addition is on a concrete slab and atleast a foot lower. Seems like a lot of cash to raise the shower and toilet up to same level... but I could be wrong :)

5. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

@Joynz Been looking at a lot of posts on here and if I can some how classify it as 4 bedrooms seems like it's very healthy on the pocket! Maybe I need to check with local council.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. What would be the point?

You don't need Council's input for this; it's all about how you spin it - not any official definition.

If there are four rooms that can be bedrooms just call it 4 bedrooms. Or 3 bedrooms plus studio and ensuite.

7. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

Cool. 4 bedrooms it is!

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Officially it needs to meet the requirements of a Class 1A dwelling to be called a bedroom... some tenants have been known to rent houses which are not compliant then immediately go get a rent control/reduction as it does not meet the legal definition of a habitable room

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It sounds like a laundry.
    Marg

DaveM likes this.
  10. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

Thanks. I'll check out local law on that point. Happy to do the right thing.

11. Jelicich

Jelicich Active Member

Lol. It does but it isn't. There a laundry in the house. This is quite a big separate space which with the right knowledge can easily at the least be converted into a studio room. I'm not quite sold on idea of granny flat even though that's another idea. All good feedback back though!

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just measure the floor to ceiling height - should be right if it is 2400mm at least.