Vendor expectations at the end of a boom.

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Travelbug, 31st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

How long does it take for vendors to realise that the boom is over? It's painful to see sellers thinking that because properties have been on a sharp incline in the last few years they will continue to rise.

I know I see people posting stats saying an area has grown 10% a year for the last 5 years so I'm going to buy there as I'll have great CG. And others discounting an are that has had lower than expected growth for 8 years.

Example- A house in Kings Langley, Sydney was sold in April 2015 for $805K. Young buyers decided after a few months that they want to love in the country (story I got). They put the house on the market and didn't get what they wanted. They then relisted in September. They decided to go to auction (was supposed to be on as I type). They had an offer for $850K but rejected it (according to the agent). I estimate they would need $860K to break even. So I went to watch the auction and it's been cancelled and is now for sale for $899K.
    It's a nice house, but not real big and it has a pool but not much yard.

Onthehouse says $825K (for what that's worth). I'll see how it plays out.

wylie likes this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

A house 2 doors up from me sold a few months for $651k. It has had one of the worst renovation jobs I have ever seen, and is up for rent for $460pw. Probably banking on the market going up up up and are now left with a dog.

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My observation is that it takes a while .

We've just sold two properties in Sydney and I've mentioned this to a few people outside the forum and they've all replied " it's a good time to sell " as in the markets hot , not its peaked and it's about to come down , so while most on the forum think Sydney has peaked , my perception is that it's not " common knowledge " .

Good areas is Sydney are still quite ok . It's the lesser areas which are going to suffer .

If it was a regular forumite selling that property , they'd just take the loss and move on quickly know things could get a lot worse , however most people don't act like that . They want their money back and are quite prepared to wait until they do , or until reality or the bank hits them over the head with a piece of 4*2 ...

There are several of the more experienced members who are saying that it will be a little while before there are more widespread drops l though there may be some earlier pain in the OTP market when people can't settle , but personally I'd be selective about what I was buying .

Cliff

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

5. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

It can obviously take a while - but there are so many variables - in particular, the vendors circumstances and vendors motivation. I've been working with a vendor (through a sales agent) for nearly 4 weeks now. Their original expectation was Offers Over $450,000 - I appraised the property as good buying up to $420,000, but very early on told the agent I didn't believe the property even had a 4 at the front of the price - the vendor was obviously very annoyed/disappointed but after a couple of open homes we have agreed on a price of $400,000 - overall a fantastic result - sometimes you just need to sit it out and wait. Especially if it is for an investment - there are plenty of other properties out there - in a plateauing market, if you can hold off - you will get the price. Either that or someone else will overpay - and you are still the winner - because you didn't overpay! Good luck!

6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Some vendors have been holding out riding the boom, waiting, waiting.. Then try to sell when they should have sold 3 months earlier..

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

In Spain it took more than 3 years for sellers to accept the new reality. In the meantime there were just hardly any sales. I tried hard not to laugh at a few asking prices at properties I was viewing, one they wanted 380K it would not be worth 200 now. I just bought another property here for 105K they started at 175K a while ago.

A lot of sellers seem to chase the market down. I think if you want a sale you have to get in front of the crash and accept the lower offers while they still exist.

8. SaiMan23

SaiMan23 Member

This one was an auction, "bidding expected" from 690. Which I thought was pretty cheeky given that it sold several years ago for that exact price. Clearly the agent knew it would go for a lot more. Is this considered underquoting?

9. twistedstats

twistedstats Well-Known Member

Classic case of loss aversion. If you can still service your mortgage, why realize a loss when you could hold out (at virtually zero cost) and wait for a potential pickup in prices.

10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

it took the vendor of our weekender four years .

in the mean time , the asking price almost halved ., and he almost went bankrupt

cliff

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2015
  11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yeah true! Unfortunate. Don't they read the papers? The boom is over!
    I saw people get caught out at the end of the last boom. Friend of ours had a good offer on a property. Agent said wait until auction. Cost him 6 figures.