Veggie garden

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by geoffw, 7th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had a little veggie garden for a couple of years now, and I've quite enjoyed it.

We had a real estate agent come to give us an appraisal.

His view is that I should remove the veggie garden and grass the entire area.

Since water restrictions in Canberra a few years ago, people have gone off veggie gardens. They would rather have an area that kids can enjoy.

Thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I once handled a sale of a house in a good suburb where the owners had transformed the yard into eco gardens, banana circle, companion plantings, pool converted to natural systems as freshwater pond with perch, solar power (when rebates were reasonable) etc.

No interest until everything was ripped out grassed and rechlorinated etc.

Tom Rivera and geoffw like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Ahhhhhh!!!! People are so frustrating! I get this all the time as a Property Manager. "Trees and gardens are the worst, let's tear everything out and make it a barren lawn".

That said.... people (*cough* tenants *cough*) are also lazy and don't take care of things, which is why owners seem to prefer barren lawns. I understand the appeal of tearing out vegetation, it's just a shame.

I'm obviously in the minority, but one of my non-negotiables for a PPOR is established garden and tree vegetation. You can have all the money in the world, but you can't buy a gorgeous thirty year old fig tree.

4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I’d love a veggie garden but didn’t see many when we were looking in Canberra. I think it would depend on the size of your block and the size of the veggie garden. Does it take up the whole yard? Does it look high maintenance? What is the market for your property, is it families? They may want a veggie patch.

Btw - Good on you for growing one in Canberra, I have had trouble keeping herbs alive!

5. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

I think perhaps the best question is what percentage of your backyard is veggie garden? When we were looking for PPOR I wanted a large open space in the back yard and I did not like clutter. As luck would have it I bought one with a veggie patch/garden, but it is a small percentage of the yard.

What do you grow? Have you found orientation important? I imagine the cold in Canberra has not been conducive.

6. geoffw

Canberra had some quite severe water restrictions some years back, as the dam levels dropped drastically. Many Canberrans have gone off water intensive gardens.

We are on a very big block - 2300 M2. But it's a steep block. The house is high on the block to get the best views. A big part of the block is natural bush, too steep to out garden beds. On the down end of the block is a granny flat. There's not a lot of flat area suited for either grass or garden. So the edict is that the garden beds should go, kids need a grassed area for play.

I start the plants from seed, directly in the beds, before the frosts finish, covering them with frost cloth on cold nights. Tomatoes and corn have been just ok; herbs have been good (sage, mint, thyme, rosemary, basil). My best crops have been the snow peas in winter, and tomatillos un summer (they are used for Mexican recipes, the base for salsa verde).

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I love a vege and herb garden ... plucked rosemary, sage and (from storage) garlic from the garden for our slow roast lamb tonight ... and the pumpkin seeds dropped in my compost have gone rampant. Thirty-odd Queensland Blue and Butternut pumpkins at last count - all self seeded - that's a lot of roasts and soups.

Is your vege garden raised and looks tidy? Raised with neat edges (timber or colorbond) makes a big difference to sell-ability. And personally, love a few mature trees that aren't gums

2803181.jpg

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. geoffw

I get soil and mulch from the local council green waste recycling centre. They grow stuff in their own soil- these pumpkins were enormous. They look to be US-style Halloween pumpkins, unfortunately not appearing at quite the right time of year.
    Pumpkins.jpg

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Did you try eating them? The Halloween one's are not good eating ...

Had some of my pumpkin with a roast lamb last night - OMG - so firm and sweet. Unlike the mushy water plumped and fibre ridden shop bought ones

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. geoffw

The Halloween ones make great pumpkin pie, which is a dessert. People from the US can't believe that we eat pumpkins as a vegetable. The taste is very different- the pumpkins we have are much stronger in flavour, and aren't as much suitable for pumpkin pie (which probably came about as a way to use up a lot of dug out pumpkin mash). It's made with mash, eggs, cream and spices.

I like the butternuts- they are neater and don't leave as much mess, and are easier to peel.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That green waste mulch is great .. we got 80 ton in (4 double bogies) for some paddock work for just over $1,000. It did come with a lot of plastic and tin can rubbish in it tho, as they don't sort it before putting it through the mulcher - but, at only around 20 buckets of rubbish, relatively little in comparison to how much mulch we actually bought

geoffw likes this.
  12. geoffw

In home quantities it's great value too. $10 for a ute tray full, $15 per m². I had 6 m² in two deliveries at $35 per delivery ($160 total). It added probably thousands in value, really bringing up the street aspect tremendously.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'd love to do the entire property - probably cost around $20,000 - but the increased value due to the enriched soil would be more than the cost.

Just have to convince hubby. Life used to be so much easier when he traveled for work - he'd come home from 1-2 weeks away and things were simply "done"

skater, MTR, Kassy and 2 others like this.
  14. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Hmm...I tend to disagree with the agent. If you want to sell a house you want people to form an emotional bond with the property. What better way than with a garden? Even budding gardeners like to think they could get stuck in and keep things fabulous.

To an extent it wouldn't matter what you had people would complain about something. I would put it on the market and see what happens and then consider changing things. Time to talk to another agent perhaps?

Perhaps if it was a unit and small block I can understand a reduced garden. With a block that size people will expect some maintenance. As long as there is some lawn/ play space for children.

15. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I'd react if I went away for the weekend and my wife had spent $20k on manure o_O

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The lamb?

geoffw likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - the pumpkin. The lamb was also awesome - slow roasted with a rub of garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil - based in red wine ... Yummo!

Kassy likes this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

From my perspective....and I am not a gardener, I HATE trees near a house, especially the front yard. I like to have things that look neat & tidy, and not a lot of maintenance required. If there was a vege garden, I'd like to know that there was little maintenance required, but would see it as a plus if it was a PPOR. I'd see it as a negative if it was for an IP.

19. geoffw

While it is a big block, there's not much flat area which is suitable for either a lawn or veggie garden. There's a big area which has natural bush, which I really like, but it is steeply sloped; behind the house, the flat area is comparatively small. It used to have a cubby house which fell into disrepair, and now it's veggie garden- and to become lawn, suitable for kids.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.