VCAT - how longs a piece of string

Discussion in 'Development' started by Brendon, 17th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I know the answer to this is potentially open ended but just trying to get an idea of what I could be in for.

Attempting to complete a 2 lot subdivision and build on the newly completed block. Council hasn't be good to deal with and am now at a point where vcat seems like a very real possibility.

My planner seems to think that it's straight forward once at vcat especially seeing as council haven't followed procedure at all.

Without giving to many details and going into specifics, what sort of ballpark figure could I be looking at cost wise?

- the property is in Victoria if that helps

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

depends on the case, but "straightforward and uncomplicated" around $8k in professional fees
    Add VCAT fees +/- $1k

What does your planner say?

3. Brendon

Thanks, I had $10k in my head but was hoping it could've been cheaper hahaha.

My planner can't believe we're even having to talk about VCAT, thought and still thinks it should've been approved months ago....
    Will find out more tomorrow

4. Tufan Chakir

The problem is that there are no second chances, you have no idea who the Tribunal member might be (eg level of experience/knowledge/background), and that every contingency needs to be planned for. So sometimes it's more about being prepared and "just in case" rather than what happens on the day. You might be lucky - the Council might come to its senses and want to avoid VCAT and an outcome can be negotiated

MTR and James Cavill like this.
  5. Brendon

Thanks @Tufan Chakir

That's what I'm hoping, that when we sit down they'll be reasonable and we can work through it to get a good outcome

6. SayNoMore

SayNoMore New Member

Can you give more specifics, i.e. Council (or general suburb area) and what the main issue is? Have you met with the Council's planning manager or called them?

7. Tufan Chakir

Why VCAT is worthwhile.
    A client was confronted by unreasonable conditions - they were actually costed out at $260k. The Council later offered to go half..but it was very vague. So it was taken to VCAT. We won the case. Saved that $260k, for an outlay of less than $10
    Ok, it's sometimes the luck of the draw, but when the case is solid, it is worth a run
    Don't be afraid of going to VCAT!
    Oh and my clients are VERY happy!

lixas4, JohnPropChat, MTR and 2 others like this.