VAS down LICs up - arbitrage?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Zenith Chaos, 1st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

As of right now today VAS down and all big old LICs up (AFI, ARG, AUI, MLT, WHF).

For discussion.

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Anything to do with due dates for reporting and/or going ex-dividend especially if there are any specials involved?

3. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Happens quite often.

Could perhaps make a couple bucks playing this game but maybe not worth the effort.

The premium/discount may revert back to an old level or it could go somewhere new.

If you’re thinking of unloading something to simplify your portfolio (as I have before) then it couldn’t hurt doing it while the LIC is trading at a premium

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a mixed bag really, for 6 months VAS is lagging AFI by a good 6-7%:

Screenshot_2019-02-01-19-16-45-50.png

But basically line ball with say Milton:

Screenshot_2019-02-01-19-17-43-65.png

It is either due to differences in performance of the individual holdings between the funds and/or changes to NTA backing.

If you figure out how to make money from this information please let me know how....

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Get back to work son!

Snowball, Hodor and Nodrog like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

On odd occasion I’ve taken advantage of such things for tax loss harvesting but as a trading strategy for short term profit it’s not worth the risk, time and effort.

It’s hard enough getting to FIRE with sensible investing. So not worth higher risk, costly strategies when one is so close or risking wealth destruction after having reached that most important goal!

Once one embarks on trying to get fancy it can become an addiction often with the inevitable consequences. Well it was for me when I took that path many years ago.

If I need an adrenaline rush nowadays I do it by wresting with our resident 2.5 metre python. Much less risky than messing with our accumulated wealth.

Mooser, Snowball and Zenith Chaos like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

And likely be there a lot longer than desired if he gets hooked on such things:).

The Falcon likes this.
  8. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

Can you one for FGX or FGG? Keen to understand if these fund of funds which are supposed to be the best of breed fund managers could under/over perform the ETF.

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

All grist for the mill. Fortunately for me I've never noticed the difference as it's unlikely I would use it successfully.

SK asks of himself "What don't I know?" and the answer is "An outstanding amount so don't go there as you'll probably outsmart yourself."

Snowball, Nodrog and Gestalt like this.