Managed Funds Vanguard managed fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Kelly88, 13th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Hi,

For everyone that invested in Vanguard managed fund, which one do you use?

Do you use the equivalent of VAS/VGS or high growth fund?

Thanks

Kelly

2. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

I have the Wholesale Australian Share Fund, International Share Fund and International Small Cap Fund.

I'm probably going to add the Property and Infrastructure funds.

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Investment should be tailored to an individual. Thus, my investments shouldn't necessarily be what you invest in.

Your age and risk tolerance should define your strategy. If you are young and have a high risk tolerance you should be almost 100% equities. To diversify you might choose VAS, VGS and VGE in appropriate percentages. If you have a lower risk tolerance then you could increase your allocation to risk free assets like government bonds or cash.

Not advice

geoffw likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think your terminology is correct.

You refer Vanguard managed funds, but then mention two ETFs, which are index funds, rather than managed funds. A managed fund has a manager deciding which shares to invest in, while an Exchange Traded Find invests purely on the shares in an index - there's no active management at all. In this way, the running costs of an ETF are car smaller than those of a managed fund.

5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Not so. Vanguard classifies it’s unlisted index funds and its unlisted active funds as managed funds. You can see at this link ;

Low-cost managed funds | ETFs

Vanguards ETFs are for the most part a separate class of the unlisted funds and are by any measure very cheap for managed funds. They have one significant advantage over listed products for many - behavioral.

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  6. geoffw

I clicked on the link, and found links to retail and wholesale managed funds, which did not include VAS or VGS, and ETFs, which did.

Perhaps the term actively managed would be more meaningful. I have seen the term Managed Find applied to ETFs on Vanguard pages, but then there's this
    ETFs and managed funds:What's the difference?

My understanding of an (actively) managed fund is one where a manager makes decisions on which shares to buy based on their own criteria, whereas an ETF is generally dictated purely by what shares are in an index, and what proportion - thus not requiring a skilled paid manager to choose. It's partially just a pedantic differentiation, but it does highlight just what an ETF is.

7. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

I think there are two different aspects getting confused here:

Actively managed vs index.
    Exchange traded vs unlisted.

By definition, an ETF is exchange traded. And there are actively managed ETFs, they're not all index based. eg:
    Active ETFs | Actively Managed Funds | BetaShares

A "managed fund" has traditionally referred to an unlisted fund. They can be index based, they don't have to be actively managed. eg:
    Investment Products

Never giveup and The Falcon like this.
  8. The Falcon

Note OPs post ; “equivalent of”

Re your post, you should be using the terminology of index fund not ETF. An index fund can either be listed as an exchange traded fund, or unlisted. The management mechanism is the same - index full or partial replication.

9. geoffw

Ok, fair point on both counts.

Vanguard themselves are contributing to the confusion IMO.

Last edited: 16th Jul, 2019
    Never giveup likes this.
  10. The Falcon

Jack Bogle was trying to get the use of "Traditional Index Funds" off the ground to delineate between "mutual funds" (in our case "managed funds") and unlisted index funds. I'm happy to go with this.

DoggaPP likes this.
  11. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

I have to go through the provided links to get better understanding now as I was also under the impression:-

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.