Valuation Calculating

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Gonx, 2nd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

I will use some hypothetical numbers here:

Lets say an apartment is listed to sell for $500,000 and a few offers were recieved.
    • Another similar apartment in the same complex sells for 430k 4 months ago in a rushed sale due to urgent issues by the owner

• Another apartment that is in a slightly better location down the road and has a few more features sells for 570k 1 month ago

• Another apartment that is in a slightly better location down the road and is a bit better quality but similar features sells for 630k just over 1 week ago

What do you think the valuation would be based on the above info? if the buyer wants to buy it for 500k do you think the bank would allow it on the above facts?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would come down to what a value assesses it at using comparable sales.

Gonx likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Mostly, valuation is more art and interpretation than fact.

its the "comparables method" that causes that

ta

olf

Ethan Timor, Gonx and Colin Rice like this.
  4. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

yeah that is what I'm trying to do, work out what the valuer might say it;s worth. :)

5. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

thanks Rolf for your wisdom, glad to see you are also still around these days.

OK, lets simplify this....

Should one be worried that the bank won't finance the sale on valuation?

6. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

What about when the valuer does the valuation, should the vendor bring up the sale of the similar apartment and explain to them why it sold cheap. If one had spoke to the agent who sold the other one and the agent explained it was a rushed sale because of urgent circumstances should the vendor tell the valuer that and also let him know there were higher offers after it went into contract? Or would he just shut his ears and not use that info in any way to make his valuation?

Would offering a nice cup of coffee help ? :)

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

A valuation should be called an opinion as thats what it really is except its the opposite to a real estate appraisal as it is usually less than required.

Gonx likes this.
  8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

If it's a purchase, an on market transaction with an estate agent and all parties in the same state, it'd be unlikely for the valuer to disagree with the sale price for the valuation.

Ethan Timor and Gonx like this.
  9. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Spencer v Commonwealth circa 1917 is the test of market value.

10. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

sounds good, that was the answer I was looking for, thanks!

So would they go back to the buyer and say something like "we think it is worth $480,000 to $495,000 but $500,000 would be a fair price"?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Gonz is your sale contract subject to finance? What is the impact if the valuation comes in low? Will the contract fall over or does the buyer have to keep seeking finance to their satisfaction?

Gonx likes this.
  12. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Scott, I do not have a copy with me yet but I expect a copy today. From when I was talking to the agent it would seem it might be subject to finance since the bank is asking for the valuation I think, it's a good question I would like to know myself now. They do have pre approval but apparently from what I have been reading that means nothing these days.

13. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Relax. It'll be fine. If you are really concerned, send the contract to your broker and ask them for an upfront val, just for your peace of mind.

MTR likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Should you only be looking at sales within the last 3 months?

Gonx likes this.
  15. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing. Don't stress - I would say less than 1 in 100 valuations I see for purchases come less than purchase price, but in reality it's even less.

Valuations are more an art in massaging the stats/numbers to fit their expected goal - which throws a lot of people off. Hang tight and you'll find it probably all falls into place nicely.

Gonx likes this.
  16. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

i've been thinking about valuations a lot after reading many of the forums. what do you all do about valuations?
    do you use the bank valuations which seem to always come in very low, or arrange an independent valuer? or calculate yourselves using online tools, assessment of recent sales etc.

17. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Use the bank ordered ones cause thats all they will accept and 9/10 only vals ordered via their internal system, so no choice really.

Resi deals are controlled by bank as per above comment. Commercial deals you can use a valuer of your choice on the lenders panel, usually.

18. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

If we're talking desktop vals - from my experience i'd probably say the valuations from 4-5 different banks that offer desktops on call to have results that have a 10% variance in range. If you were seeking finance and maximum equity results, i'd suggest doing this with suitable lenders and letting results guide your outcome.

Full vals will just do a side by side comparison of your property vs others nearby to come to their assessment.

I have no concrete empirical evidence to say this is true, but from running hundreds of vals ofver past 12 months, i'd guesstimate that desktops>full vals for units more regularly than houses. I think it may be data quality that does this (differentiation between units harder to measure than differentiation between houses/land sizes for a computer).

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.