Vacant Since April

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Huss518, 13th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

@Huss518

Get on to your PM now. Right now.

And get them to amend that realestate.com.au listing. Today.

I searched for your house under rental properties in Wyndham Vale - 3 beds, 2 baths, 1 car - not there. Only way to see your property is to search for β€œall” car space listings which includes those without any.

So anyone who specifically wants a carport/garage will never see your listing.

A major mistake which must be rectified immediately. You are missing out on a lot of prospective tenants, most people want car accommodation, especially in the suburbs.
    Marg

Dan Wood likes this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Gee, if they were just going to reuse badly taken old photos, they should have used the ones from 2011. They also show off that big covered area out the back - lots of people would like that.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

Wow, vacant since April... the only thing I can think of that might put prospective tenants off at this price in this location is something wrong with the street? There's such a high influx of tenants in the Wyndham / Werribee area that most things under $350pw at least get some interest. Often you may have to decline a few apps here and there because they're low quality, but unless you have drug dealers / obvious ice addicts in your street (tends to be a little offputting to prospective tenants) then even with average photos and a quick 10 minute open too early in the morning you would think you'd have had some interest by now.

I'd arrange new photos, make sure the property is clean and doesn't smell (not sure if you've been through the home yourself or are you too far away), have a longer open at a more reasonable time as well as a midweek open, and look into local networks such as AIMES and UNISON. They have tenants who have already been processed and assessed ready to go in areas like this, they only work with a few agents though so might be worth asking your agent if they have any relationship with them.

6. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

My eye is drawn straight to that dam big bush in the middle of 1st pic and not the house. Maybe do a job on it and dig it up.
    Update - Just came across the 2011 pic of the front and it looked so much nicer.

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2019
    bmc and Marg4000 like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Looking at the map, it appears close to a floodway. If they get past the photos, then that too would put people off.

8. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

For this one, the floodway isn't too bad, it's nicely done up and it's more like a park. I see people walking there every day I drive past, families with their dogs, kids running around.

Dan Wood likes this.
  9. Spooky

Spooky Member

From someone who is currently looking for a property to rent while we build -

1. The photos are horrible, the house looks dark
    2. The grass is long and there are weeds, which might indicate that you need to get the lawn mowed before photos are taken.
    3. The curtains are really ugly and old-fashioned. This might indicate that you need to put nice curtains up, and given that they look old, there may be maintenance issues with them.
    4. The painting is horrific. This again indicates that you need to repaint, which might mean there the tenant might have on-going issues regarding maintenance.
    5. I wouldn't rent a place with one of those old air conditioners because it could break down easily, and if the LL doesn't like to fix things then you could go a whole summer without it being fixed.

In an over-supplied/low-demand market these are the things that matter. Based on these photos, considering it looks like you haven't put much money into the place to make it look nice for tenants, I would expect a lack of respect and attention to maintenance/repairs. This is based on my experience of renting properties that don't look well cared for.

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Jun, 2019
    Marg4000 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I agree with what most have said!
    You are competing with many new developed houses.
    Just because it rented in the past does not imply will do so easily in the future, as due to current newer competition.
    You need to bring your IP into 2019 (fix patchy lawn, trim hedges, change curtains, repaint flashy coloured walls, do some update if you can with cosmetic reno...)
    Then update the photos for clarity, if you don't fix the lawn well then don't include it so obviously in the photos.
    Is there something else that stands out from other IP, if so point that out (open plan layout, feature wall, shed included, floorboards...). Think outside the box what will stand out in your IP from the rest? Why would you rent this one from the rest 100 or so?
    So IP presentation or ad is one think then there is marketing....
    Once presentation is current, make it a priority listing, offer some additional incentive, like maybe free $500 voucher who rents, or a free coffee for a 3 month if close to a nice cafe, or movie or theatre tickets...whatever the demographic in your area values? $500 is a small price to pay if it stays vacant for 2 months or so even at $300 (that's $2,400 whereas $500 would be also tax deductible).
    Perhaps drop the price drastically say to $20 below what most ask (that's $1,040 less but still better than IP being vacant for 2 or more month).
    Advertising is one thing but signing a prospective tenant is another...so you may have lease contract on site when hosting open inspections to sign on the spot, or display a basket with goods with words "FREE GIFT WHEN YOU RENT ME!). I did this on few occasions for marketing strategy to offer just some cleaning products and pamphlets on local area, which is wrapped up and not visible, so the potential tenants ask what's in the basket, the agent would say, I don't know it is a gift from the landlord, but if you rent this place you will find out (element of surprise).
    Personally I like to use good photos, present well, mention what 'good' things stand out, advertise with priority listing (so I don't just drop to the bottom quickly), offer an incentive, ask for slightly lower rent, and use clever marketing tricks!
    Best of luck!
    And yes you do need to manage your property manager (they presented your property very poorly indeed!).

Marg4000 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

At least they've listed the parking spaces now.
    Quite a cute effort - or are they being tongue in cheek when they describe the carport as being a "luxury feature"?