Using the sellers recommended Building and Pest inspection company?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Paterson00, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paterson00

Paterson00 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a purchase going through in the Gold Coast. I have just received a text from the selling agent saying that the guy she uses for building and pest is very busy but has a slot next week blah blah.. Should I use the one the sellers agent recommends? It doesn't seem smart to me to do so.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thank you

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

NO

S.T, Phantom and Sackie like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

NO.

Barny likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Did you take the agent's recommendation of solicitor, finance, insurer, car dealer etc?

5. Paterson00

Yup... I realise how stupid this sounds now I read it back. Of course you wouldn't use the recommended guy from the agent trying to sell the property. If it is of any relevance, the agent selling will initially become the property manager unless I see any reason as we go on not to use her. She will either be fantastic or a pain in the butt. She would have a vested interest in the property being straight and ready for rental on taking it up after the sale has finished.

larrylarry likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Paterson00 - sometimes it sounds all too easy (especially when you don't have any contacts). In saying that, I too have used the agent's recommended conveyancer when I was in between solicitors - I still use him and have done for some deals for over 15 years. It is horses for courses - I also still deal with the same agent too.

7. Paterson00

In all honesty the agent does sound very genuine and trust worthy but she is still working on behalf of the seller despite how trustworthy she may be. I may regret that in time and have told her so and I declined the offer highlighting that i would sleep better using an independent guy. She was fine with that. I have the recommendation of an inspector from the settlement agent. Fiona who was recommended to me through this forum.

I've been reading the forum a lot since I discovered it and have learned a lot but now I'm actually pulling the trigger and putting my big boy pants on, this forum is paying dividends. Nice to have it to hand.

larrylarry likes this.
  8. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

I asked my solicitor to recommend a Building and Pest inspection company

9. Paterson00

Thats what I have done too so we will see how we go with that. I am delighted for this to be moving forward.

10. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

We just settled on a property. Seller had their own b&p report done.

We insisted on getting our own. Ours revieled a few more issues than the original.
    Err on the side of caution I say..

Paterson00 likes this.
  11. Paterson00

Thank you. With every story, a little wiser.

12. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

If you're going to use same agency to manage the property, negotiate a better rate due to the commission they've got from you for the sale. Pretty easy to get 1% off plus some other bits and pieces like my pet hate, email statement fees.

13. Paterson00

Great tip. Sorry. ... email statement fees? That's a fee for sending an email? I'll be shopping around if I get stung with one of those. Surely that's just what your paying a manager to do?

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2016