Using offset account to pay IP expenses

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Ko Ko Naing, 26th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I may be completely confused with my understanding of what i just read in this thread, but do you mean if you set up each ip loan and PPOR loan with an offset each and a debit card to each and only use the each card for purchases related to the loan offset linked to each card then that will work? Keeping the ip card strictly for Ip expenses?
    What should you do when you need to use your personal funds (savings) for an IP expense? Where should this come from- a credit card set up only for IP use separate to the offset ACC?
    If yes can you pay the credit card balance each month down with personal funds from wages etc if your IP rent is CF negative and doesn't produce surplus funds?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I am confused too.

I must stress that you should not set up your loans so you are parking money in offset accounts. Its a bad set up.

Use an IO loan that can be redrawn upon. instead.

3. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

With IO loan, I'm not sure if you can use a debit card to pay in store. AFAIK, a debit card needs to be connected to an offset account, which means that Offset > IP Loan setup is the only option to make it usable with a debit card. I could be wrong.

4. Terry_w

I don't think you can get a debit card on IO loan directly.

The way around this is to use a credit card and then refinance this by paying it off with the money borrowed from the IO loan.

Just make sure the credit card is not a mixed loan - only use it for the property at any one point before paying off.

5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Just last few days while setting up an offset account for our last ip, I thought it's an good idea to pay repayments of loan from offset and the rents to come to offset. :oops: I was thinking to transfer any shortfalls from our funds. No plan to park money in offset.
    I came across this thread and very confused :eek: @Terry_w
    If I am using offset as an any other account, any tax deductibility issues??

6. Terry_w

No deductibility issues, but if you have non-deductible interest you would be reducing your tax deductions.

samiam likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.