Using funds from PPOR redraw as deposit for IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by ctu1890, 28th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ctu1890

ctu1890 Member

Hi Guys

First time poster here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for the following scenario:

I originally intended on purchasing an IP with an equity loan 20% secured by a fully owned PPOR and the remaining 80% secured by the new IP. Pretty straight forward, both IO investment loans with offset etc...

There is an existing loan on the PPOR with aprox 200k extra funds available as a redraw (no frills P&I loan, so no offset). This can be paid off in a month, once we offload another dud IP. So effectively we will only have debt (100% plus costs) on a new IP, and basically no cash.

However, there may be an opportunity for me to secure a property before the new IP loans are set up.

The question:

If I use the existing redraw funds 200K from the PPOR loan now as a deposit for the new IP and then, prior to settlement, and once the new loans are set up, simply refinance this PPOR to an new IO equity loan, am I messing around to much with respect to loan purpose and tax deductability?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have written a tax tip on this. See tax tip 6 in tax section.

You will need to refinance the other loan to split it. If you don't then tax consequences

3. ctu1890

ctu1890 Member

Thankyou!